Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Walking

Walking

So....

Rumor has it that walking does not help you to lose weight.

With cooler weather coming ....I want to get back out and walk. I need to drop about 10 pounds. But , if it isn't going to help with losing weight I won't bother.

I will resume Zumba when it gets colder. But would like to take advantage of being outside as much as I can .

What says you ?

re: Walking

I don't know. I have been hearing lately that the first 20 minutes of exercise is where the benefit is and that the rest can is not as beneficial as once thought.

I know I am too sedentary. I am trying now to walk each day for about 20 minutes. And I am fasting of sort of by eating my breakfast later and later. They say, that then the activity you do in the morning is supposedly burning up stored fat, instead of burning the breakfast you just ate.

Good luck.

I am not sure what is best, but am game for trying.

There is certainly no harm in walking. It isn't going to burn as many calories as running or biking or zumba, or burn them as quickly, but it still burns calories. When I walk, I walk quickly and try to remember to swing my arms, as that burns more calories than just slowly strolling along. Also...walking uphill, on an incline uses different muscles and burns more calories than just a flat surface too. I love walking.

Losing weight isn't even in the equation for me with walking...I just love to walk. It clears my thoughts and I always feel better after being out and enjoying the fresh air and nature.

Also - any cardio including brisk walking will always benefit your heart, lungs and muscles, regardless of weight loss.

Exercises which use thighs burn more calories than those that don't. The bigger the muscle exercised, the more calories burned. So running, which requires lifting the thighs against gravity, burns more than walking which burns more than sit ups. Swimming and cycling burn more than push-ups.

And I agree with the OP. Walking is mental joy for me.

I really enjoy Zumba . But saving that for winter months. It is cooler out now so the pool is out. So I wanted to start walking again. I do agree it does clear the mind and helps with my anxiety.

Losing weight sure would be an added bonus.

That makes sense about the thighs. I never thought about it that way.

I am doing a 30 day fat burn challenge but I wanted to add in walking....

So now I have to go find a good pair of walking sneakers. Any ideas on those I would love to hear thoughts .

Thanks!

I like New Balance for sneakers - I walk a lot and a pair of theirs always lasts me at least a couple of years.

Agreeing with Maryofegypt, both posts. I wear New Balance and love the quality and support.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat