Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

RE: stocking up on water for storm prep.

RE: stocking up on water for storm prep.

I don't know if anyone here has ever mentioned a Berkey water filter before, but anyone who needs to stock up on water for any possible reason (hurricane, flood, power outage, etc.) might want to look into getting one. It is so effective that it can filter something like pond water. I wouldn't say it would replace the need to have bottled water, but I sure do think it would supplement it very well. :)

Or.....you might just have gross city water full of chlorine and flouride and want to remove that. Berkey will do it for you! :)

re: RE: stocking up on water for storm prep.

M4J, we have a military grade filter like that. We can go to any body of water and filter it.

Also, we will be filling our aqua pod for the first time. I looked online to go ahead and replace it ( since you can't use it twice) and it's sold out everywhere. I mentioned it here a couple years ago, if you can get your hands on one it's a great way to store a 100 gallons of water cheap. It fits right into your bathtub . It's a water bladder of sorts.

We were using a Berkey until we had an RO unit installed under our sink. We now keep it in storage for emergencies. I would love to have one of those travel Berkeys though. I don't like stuff added to my water and even the water home delivery services add stuff to their water because most people like to taste something.

We have lifestraws for emergency purposes. We live around the corner from a lake and we raise tilapia so we have plenty of water in need of filtering.

I am glad you have water!

Tangent about RO.

I was afraid of our water at our new house and drank only the RO water, that was a contributing factor to my health declining. RO water is good in that it is "clean" but for every day use and continual use be aware that it is completely stripped of essential minerals your body needs to live.

Put a fish in RO water and it dies. Plants watered with RO water die. RO is wet but essentially dead.

If a person drinks it they need to be aware of what they are missing and make up for it in other ways. For me I had to take mineral pills for years, and now I just drink our tap water.

What is RO? Run-off water?

Reverse Osmosis

Lizbeth,
Your post concerned me and I searched and did see articles regarding RO water missing Ca and Mg and trace minerals, but after talking with my husband, I am reassured. We've been drinking RO for three years. None of us are sick. I get a CMBA panel (blood test) every year and haven't had anything really stand out to me except my TSH, but I figured out that a false reading was done because I was taking biotin at the time, so I can't count that. My test is coming up again and I've stopped the biotin in preparation for it.

There are several cartridges in our RO system and one of the available slots is for people who want to add vitamins and minerals into the drinking water, so there is a place for it. We haven't been using that but we haven't had any health problems all these years. The articles claim that health problems would start to surface within a couple months.

Many people use RO water, but it is not a "green" appliance. It uses a lot of energy to operate, so maybe that is why there are articles out there condemning them. TPTB really don't want people investing in these systems.

How was your health prior to drinking RO water?

There is high incidence of bladder cancer and brain tumors in our area. There's also oil and gas drilling and fracking going on in our area. We have well water, so we opted to install this system to protect our health. We don't want to drink fracking chemicals.
This seemed to be the best option for clean water.

Thanks for mentioning the downfalls to RO. We haven't had problems, but don't want any problems, so I'm ordering the Ca, Mg, trace mineral cartridge to add to our system.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat