Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

If you were told to evacuate

If you were told to evacuate

how quickly could you be out of your home? Everything that is important to me; I could carry. Every member of your family should have a backpack that holds a few outfits( wrapped in plastic to stay dry) medications, important papers, and toiletries. It should also include power bars, granola bars, and a couple bottles of water.

You should have a list already made so if it came down to it, you know exactly what you would want to take.

re: If you were told to evacuate

Getting the 8 of us out of my house would be easy. I have next to nothing here (very small house) and we do own another home 6 hours away that is fully furnished and equipped. However, our problem would be that both my parents and in laws are also here, which means rounding up them, medications, health supplies (walker/CPAP/etc, and taking them with us. I pray we never have to deal with that.

I just have to grab my keys to the RV and take off. I can live off grid about 2 weeks or so if the water tanks are full when I leave.

Good question and one I have never really pondered.

Flooding isn't an issue for us. Our elevation is one of the highest in our county. But other stuff...

Good question. I will need to think about this.

I doubt we would ever be told to evacuate but we always need to be prepared to stay put for extended periods of time. I take that back , a fire would cause us to evacuate. Everyday since spring, we think of fire safety and evacuation. If we had to leave due to fire, it would be just a short time. Forget food, clothes, or papers, we'd load the horses and dogs and put everyone into a vehicle and go.

Today while we were in town, the fire trucks went out 3 times or went to 3 fires in about 2hours. Fire fear and smoke are our constant companion.

We prob wouldn't have to worry about evacuating here due to weather.

However, we have had to leave our home quickly due to suspicious packages being left at local businesses.

I have had things prepared for that for a while now. Including essentials for my dog and two cats( who I would never leave behind they are family ) .

Keep an eye on the weather for those of you in the south. Hurricane Irma looks like it may be a cat 5. Watching it as our resort we have a membership to is in the Dominican. Yikes.

We've never had to evacuate, so I've never really thought about this, cricket. But now that you mention it, I think it is a great thing to at least have a list. Dh makes fun of me and my lists, but I will definitely make one. :) Thanks for the suggestions.

kesa, I heard yesterday that Irma had strengthened very quickly, more so than forecasters had predicted. We are on high ground and not near the coast, but I am praying for all those who are. And for your location in the DR.

Farmschool, have you guys had any rain yet?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat