Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: re: re: re: My doctor pushed a button yesterday...

Saying that one only wants to have kids, drop them off at school, drive them around to activities, and clean toilets really doesn't take a rocket scientist.

^^^

Just because it doesn't require a degree doesn't mean it isn't ambitious, though. Women have been doing the above (in various ways for their respective times and places and cultures) for literally thousands of years.

Suddenly.....it's not enough?

It's plenty. If a woman wants to do more/other than that, more power to her; but no one has the moral right to tell a woman that to do the above is unambitious, not worthy because it isn't producing income, etc.

There is just no historical or biblical justification for that.

Minnie I have the utmost respect for you, and adore you, but with that said I think you are inferring a lot from my typing that I have not intended and do not believe, or think.

First I am not angry,it pushed my button that day, I posted, but once I typed I felt better. I am not upset, I merely find it interesting now. I adore my doctor ,we are close, we have become friends. I bit my tongue on that day because I didn't want to lash out a friend.

I certainly didn't want to come here and start a fight with anyone either, I just wanted to check my thoughts against someone as I felt a need to defend this young gals reputation.

With that said, I never intended to imply and do not think this, "Implying that working moms do not love their children as much because they do not make a financial sacrifice is wrong, too"

I Never said that, I don't believe that!

What I was getting at, was just like your comment about your DIL, when she realized that she needed to bring balance to her home, and that was by staying home because of her husband's crazy schedule and because of his dispositions. There are many men with ordinary jobs, who are middle class that might also benefit from a wife at home. They are tired and they might have crazy schedules too, and many women can see the balance that comes when they choose to be home.

I respect you for your selfless sacrifice in the ER.
I also respect your DIL for her selfless sacrifice and doing what she thought was best for her marriage.

But I was hoping that you might also be able to respect a young woman who recognizes that now (instead of later like your DIL) and is taking steps in that direction by baby sitting all summer for a professional mom. And like I said she hasn't quit school, she is taking classes and can always reroute when or if she needs to.

Adding that for me the most ironic part is that my doctor wishes she could be home her kids but she has built a life style that now requires her to continue to work, but with that said, I would think she would *want* someone watching her kids who takes the role so seriously, someone just like the girl who my doctor labeled as "unambitious". While my doctor sometimes says that she " wishes she could be home" doing what that young girl did this summer (watch her kids) she insults the girls reputation for only being interesting in what my doctor now pines for.

This post was edited on Sep 02, 2017 03:51 PM

re: re: re: re: re: re: My doctor pushed a button yesterday...

Even homeschool moms really do not fit the typical SAHM stereotype.
--------

I don't think the average American considers h/s moms "working moms". I believe they do consider them to be SAHM's. We know that Mayberry Mommy and farmschool are working moms, but of course many h/s moms are not working on a farm each day. I taught piano lessons at home for several years (and was a paid church pianist, spending a lot of time there each week accompanying church services, various choirs and other singing groups), but I don't think the average person would have called me a working mom.

Your doctor most likely is referring to someone who really doesn't have the ambition or intelligence to go through life milestones, i.e. college and job.
--------

Wow, this does come across as very judgmental, as an attitude of superiority. I don't know if you meant it that way or not, Minnie, but that's how this comes across. It DOES take ambition and intelligence to be an excellent wife, mom, and homemaker. The Lord speaks of this in His Word.

Saying that one only wants to have kids, drop them off at school, drive them around to activities, and clean toilets really doesn't take a rocket scientist.
---------

This actually strikes me funny, lol -- because babies are not (fixed that typo) born being dropped off at school! (Unless you call daycare "school" as I actually heard a parent do, not long ago?)

Babies require LOTS of care from Day One (duh, I know we all know this, just contrasting this fact with that quote). Parents don't drop them off at school, drive them around to activities, from the beginning. There are several VERY important years in between (and of not all parents "drop dc off at school", as the existence of this board attests).

Child care 'experts' say the early years are the most important, by far. And that the quality of those early years determines the quality of their later years.

Now I do believe that the Lord is able to change a person's life. But those experts don't seem to take that into account.

The bottom line to me, though, is that a child's formative years are just that. Sure, a total stranger can do all the mechanical things a child needs -- meet physical needs, yes. But there are a multitude of other needs which a stranger will never be able to meet. And that is why I wanted to be at home with my own dc, and that is why I am beyond grateful that I was able to do that.

This post was edited on Sep 02, 2017 08:21 PM

Lizbeth, thank you for clarifying. Yes, I was reading more into your posts than you intended. I really thought you were angry at her remarks. It is good to know it is a minor annoyance to you. Just stick all us homeschooling moms on her. We will steer her straight.

:)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat