General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Our Typical Day... for now

Our Typical Day... for now

We are three weeks into the new school year so I'm sure if this "typical day" will be the same at the end of the year. But here is how things are going right now.

I have a 3rd grade ds, 1st grade ds, 4yo ds and 2yo ds. We begin school once breakfast is done, morning chores are complete and the kitchen is cleaned up (Ok, sometimes I skip the last one). Usually this is around 9:30, sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

We spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours doing our lessons. We use a mixture of curricula, including Math Mammoth, R&S English & spelling, Adventures in Phonics, Galloping the Globe, Writing with Ease, God's Design for science.. etc. The only things that get done every single day are math and English for my 8yo. We also have weekly Bible memory verses we work on every day. We do most of our core subjects Tue-Thu and leave time on Mon for music and art on Fridays. I try to mix things up so we are doing a combo of workbooks, lit-based and hands-on, never all the same thing.

Sometimes my 4yo wants to "do school" so then he'll pick out an Explode the Code primer to work on, mostly independently. The 2yo plays around us, as our school takes place in our toy room. He tries to steal our erasers, makes boats out of laundry baskets, looks at books, etc.

We usually finish about 11 or 11:30, make lunch and then the rest of the day is spent just living life: having naps, doing chores, the two oldest boys practice piano, playing outside, building out of Lego, etc. They also have the opportunity to go with Daddy sometimes. I also read aloud in the afternoons when I have a free half hour.

I love how school works so nicely into the day and we still have lots of time for other things.

re: Our Typical Day... for now

We get up at 6:30 am, dress and eat breakfast.

7:00 am Bible and prayers (MFW ECC Bible lesson and read aloud)

7:30 - 9:30 We work together at the dining room table on:
MFW ECC (geography and science)
ACE PACES (science)
Grammar (Rod and Staff)
Spelling (Spelling Power)
Poetry memorization and review
*5 year old works on ETC and HWOT for a while, but wanders off whenever he feels lead!

9:30 - dd's go to their rooms to complete their individual math and reading assignments.

11:00 - Reading (dd's read books from Robinson Curriculum book list).

11:30 or 12:00 - Lunch

12:30 or so - Gym (we use Wii fit) and Piano practice

1:00 - We're done for the day!

re: Our Typical Day... for now

Our days are somewhat hectic for now but we expect things to calm down by spring semester. Our grandson arrives at our home for childcare, I drive to the neighboring county with our two daughters in college (one recently got her license!), my fifteen year old daughter gets things moving, I drop by the Y for a quick workout, arrive back at home and begin our formal studies:
Devotions
Sequential Spelling
Handwriting/Essay Writing
History or Science
Math
English
Lunch
Chores->Nap for some
Independent Lessons and Help from Mom

Fifteen year-old daughter works on her online high school courses.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions