General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Modest, yet not frumpy, affordable clothing...

Modest, yet not frumpy, affordable clothing...

Does it exist? I am trying to be more modest in my clothing choices but I don't want to look like a bag lady either. I am looking for some ankle length skirts/dresses that are affordable and some 3/4 length sleeve tops. Any ideas? The clothing from the websites I really like is just outrageously priced.

Thanks! Amey

re: Modest, yet not frumpy, affordable clothing...

Old Navy has some awesome looking floor-length sundresses. My DD16 pointed out that they would be great with a t-shirt under them (or a tank if your weather is hotter). They had some floor-length skirts too. Sears had some nice long summer skirts in all different colors.

I buy a lot of Coldwater Creek stuff OFF SEASON. So I have to buy and then store, but the prices get really good at the end of the seasons.

They usually come with a high price tag. I sew most of mine for myself and my girls. I did not know about the end of the season thing at Coldwater Creek. I will have to check that out. Sometimes I find things at Land's End. But sewing has become my best solution.

I'm a TJMaxx and Marshall's girl. They have a wide variety of styles and sizes.

HTH

Do you sew?

If you do, the elastic waist, tiered skirts are super cute, very stylish right now and WAY easy to make. Not frumpy looking at all. And you can make them the length you like. My girls love them. Buy a couple of tops and take them to the fabric store with you so you can get a perfectly matching fabric for the skirt. It looks sharp, like a put-together outfit, and it's summer-y and fresh looking.

I love shopping in high-end consignment shops. Beautiful, non frumpy clothes for a great price. Not sure if you have any of those around . . . :)

http://far-above-rubies.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=4&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

I also check with my local goodwill regularly and when I see them at a good price I buy them up, even if I don't need them at the moment because eventually I will and at $4-$5 per skirt buying ahead of time pays.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions