General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Do you follow your state school start date?

re: Do you follow your state school start date?

We are in Georgia. School starts the first week of August, ending the last week in May.

We school year round starting in June finishing in May (most of the time sooner).

Yes, we normally follow our local public school schedule.

It's important for my son to have to same days off as his friends in the neighborhood. I wouldn't feel comfortable making him stay inside and do school work while neighborhood kids get to play outside. This allows for extra socialization that my son needs.

We used to try to follow it although not taking the same time off. Now we dont follow it at all. I do have the convience of not having many other brick schooled children around. We just started school a few days ago...with a new curric and am not worried. We will finish next winter and be just fine with that!

When DS was in ps I found their schedule to be frustrating and annoying. So I definitely do NOT follow it for hsing.

We school pretty much year round - we've tried taking breaks and end up doing educational things anyway!

That said, our state mandates that we count our hours from July 1 to June 30. So I keep an excel sheet for each month and for each day write the number of hours we spent schooling and what subjects we did. (no, it doesn't have to be that detailed - it's for MY sanity just in case)

This is our first year and we're already "done" with our mandated hours (720 for 1st Grade) and are still going strong. :)

For our family, we do usually start within a week of the PS start date. We don't follow the PS school calendars otherwise though. Usually we school pretty hard and consistently up until December. December is pretty much an entire month off for us. We will be starting back with schoolwork on Monday. By having a pretty tight schedule the first half of the year, we usually get well ahead on the work so the second half of the year when the kids and myself sometimes start to run into some burn out, we don't have to be as structured. Nearly every year we finish curriculums around end of February or March, well ahead of the public schools, then we go back and review some from earlier in the year and do more unit type studies. We've tried spreading curriculum out over an entire year and the kids just get drudged down, so we have found that working really hard til Christmas leaves more time for relaxed learning later and the kids like that. I have to say though that this isn't going to be the case for my DD who started highschool this year. She is going to have to continue to work on her highschool studies pretty much to April it looks like. There is alot that she needs to cover, so we have her working at a more adjusted pace for her instead of pushing through so hard and diligently like with the younger ones. She is ok with this though, because even working at a slower pace, her daily workload is finished about the same time as the younger ones.

We school year-round. I know some people have a set number of weeks that they school and that they take off, like 6 weeks of school and then 2 weeks off, but we just do school every day we can and take breaks when we need them. If we're having company, we may just take one day off for extra shopping and cleaning. If I had a baby, we may take a few weeks off completely, and then do "school lite" for another few weeks.

This year we're going to rent a condo and spend a month at Disney World in the fall. It's going to be great, and I'm not going to feel guilty about not doing school. I'll probably take a few worksheets that review things they know for rainy days or when I'm cooking, and we'll take a few books, but we're mostly just going to have fun.

Nope. PS starts August 25th and ends June 10; we will start September 7th and end May 20th. We have to go 180 days.

No, half of the time I don't even know when PS starts. I think I heard it starts Aug 17th here in our new area. We school year round, but do light in June/July. We will start our official new grade next week, Aug 2nd. We take days off whenever we want, so if that matches the PS children, so be it. BUT I should say I try not to leave the house on days PS children are out....all of the kid places are packed whereas if we go a different day we are one of the few there...love that!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions