General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Do you follow your state school start date?

Do you follow your state school start date?

I am really curious as to where everyone is from here and when your local school starts. I live in Minnesota an our local Public school starts September 9th. We are going to start our homeschool the last week of August. I have a sinking feeling that we are really going to struggle in our first weeks because...... Son #2 a pro bull rider -rodeo broke his arm at his first big PBR event and is coming home for a few weeks Son #1- US Marine Corps is coming home on leave September 1st My dh is having ankle surgery(Sept 2) for the second time this year and will be in a cast and laid up. The older boys will be running the dairy farm here which will be stressful. Five sons in the house again ...testostorone...... I am going to need lots of prayer!! I really wanted to get our school year up and running great. Would love to hear about the obstacles others will be facing also so I can pray for you!

re: Do you follow your state school start date?

No, I don't. Our public schools start tomorrow, but August is a big canning/freezing month for me, and Labor Day weekend is a big event for our family (due to a local festival). I've tried a few times to start at the same time as our public schools, but it just doesn't work for our family. We start the day after Labor Day.

Nope.

Our obstacle has been the youngest ds likes to hs year round. No more. It made our family schedule too crazy.

So, this year we will follow our local Catholic School schedule are our other 2 kids are in catholic school. To my best ability, I will school him on this schedule, right down to teacher workdays. I need him to be on par with the others, for FUN time on days off!

Anne

Never the same time. The last two years we've started a week or two later (it's nice to enjoy the parks, etc after all the kids have gone back to school). This past spring we got done with school 5 weeks early and went on a three week vacation at the end of April, so by the first of August we were all ready to get back in the saddle. So this fall we started school 2.5 weeks before the local PS.

Our school should be called hit and miss due to all the things that interrupt our days. I went a head and started this year’s math and English just so when those days come up that stop book lessons we can stop. I like to start after wheat harvest and before working the cattle but this year things are just too off schedule. Today my oldest, age 9, did her work while riding in the tractor with her Dad. It always surprises me at the end of the year to see what all we’ve covered even with all the interruptions.

No, we don't follow the school's start date, although I do keep a schedule of their days off so my kids can plan a day with a PS friend. We started Aug 3- 3-4 days a week; the public school kids went back yesterday. Although WHY they start on a Friday is beyond me! lol
We take about a month off in Dec-Jan, so I like to get an earlier start.

3sonsmom

we do typically try to follow the ps schedule. It just makes it easier to do our 9 week grades at the same time family and other church kids are getting their report cards. Also to have days off simutaneously. But we are still flexible to our own needs. My husband is a pastor so we need to make allowances for that sometimes.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions