General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Any other homeschooling nurses? I need encouragement!

re: Any other homeschooling nurses? I need encouragement!

Hi everyone!
I don't usually post, I'm a lurker...I am also a nursing student homeschooling my 3 girls ages 12,9, and 5. I've been homeschooling for 6 years now and am encouraged to hear about how others continue to homeschool and work a nursing schedule. THanks for all the posts and encouragement that I can do it too!

Sandra

Hi,
I too, have been a nurse for 18 years (L&D, OB/GYN, drug safety and Quality Management). I currently work only weekends doing postpartum home visits. I like it but still feel my weekends are gone missing the family weekend time where we are all together.
I will take it though, we just moved to Holland , Mi because my husband finally after 3 years found full time work again. He was with his previous company for 16 years and I stayed home then. But when he lost his job, I went back to full time QM nursing for 3 years. After much praying, he got a job and I am now back to homeschooling my kids.
We both learned alot in those 3 years, he, of course a new found respect for what I did at home and he treasures the time he had with them. Me, well, I learned how much I missed my kids and all the crying and stress I used to have when I was a stay at home mom was nothing compared to working full time in nursing and being away from them. I mean I knew that, but until I experienced it, was when it really humbled me.
Weekends are good now, I'll take it!! It sure beats full time.
But I digress, I kind of went of the subject, sorry!
Working as a nurse part time and homeschooling is tough and even though I am weekend only I still just do school 4 days a week because I need that one day to gather myself.
Thanks for posting the topic! I enjoyed reading others!
Kristen :)

My mom works at a school part time in August and Full time September-June, and she's a single parent. And im 13 and homeschooled for the first time this year and i love it! :) I do most things independently but she helps during evenings and weekends. And if there's a curriculum i need more teacher involovment we do it during the summer. So homeschooling can be done in any situations :)

I know this is an old thread. Just wanted to say I am a R/N R/M who had a twice weekly Healkth clinic from home. Independant practice is legal here in South Africa. I have worked for a year, after 9 years of being a SAHM. We've always HS, 3 children, though one is only 4yo. I've just closed the clinic. We needed the money but Isuffer from anxiety issues and was so burntout I had a break down. So yes, it is possible to be an R/N and Hs but I think a support system in place would help a lot, as with any HS mom who works. I think the difference with nursing is that if you're a dedicated nurse, and most of us are, it takes a lot out of yuo emotionally. If you're constantly giving and not getting re-fuelled, it's recipe for burn out.
All the best working Moms, you have a hard job and I admire our courage.

Lindy

So happy to see all the responses from fellow RN mommies! My daughter is turning 15 in Dec and we are still HS! She has HS all the way through with a part time working mom! They can now work on their homeschool while I am at work! Yeah. We do try to work year round to get it all in and allow lazy times. This week they are going out of town with my parents. Smile. We coop on Mondays and they have a chance to have a real class too. Keep on trucking, pray lots and LOVE your kids and it will work out. Go Nurses!
Melaine

Hello,
It's been almost a year and half since I posted to this topic. When I posted, I'd only been working about 6 months. Now it's been 2 years and I just wanted to say, by way of update, that things are still going very smoothly! It IS possible to both work and homeschool! But it does require "MORE." You have to be MORE organized, MORE diligent, MORE reliant on God.
Also, to couchfamily, who started this thread, THANK YOU! I love how you came full-circle, from needing encouragement back in '07 when you originally posted, to GIVING encouragement in your last post!
Kudos and big hugs to all you hardworking, homeschooling nurse mommies out there!

Just joined this forum today and checking out all areas of discussion.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you working and homeschooling moms! I haven't worked outside of the home for 4 years now and still feel like I can't get anything done. I get overwhelmed almost daily over the littlest things. So encouraging to hear how you all keep it together!

I am a 11 year veteran of nursing with a background in ICU, L&D, postpartum, nursery, nursing informatics, management, and wound care. I love to learn! It was so encouraging to read all the post from working nurses who are also homeschooling. I have been wanting to home school my 6 and 8 year old daughters for two years, but I have not committed to it until now. My oldest daughter is in college and she went to private school. We will start homeschooling in the fall and I am trying to figure out how I will balance my nursing career with homeschool. I will need to work 24-32 hours/week. I think nursing offers us the flexibility to homeschool. I have reviewed a few of the homeschool programs and like what Bridgeway Academy offers. I spoke with one of the reps last fall. Does any one know about their program or any one that has ever used it? Now that I have committed, I need to decide on a program.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions