General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Any other homeschooling nurses? I need encouragement!

re: Any other homeschooling nurses? I need encouragement!

I am new to the board and don't get to read it very often. I was excited to see so many hs nurses. I work 7p-7a 3 nites/week. I was doing every other weekend fri,sat,sun, but my boss finally gave in and is giving me sun off. I wrok on a med/surg-rehab floor at a local hospital. I have been a nurse for 20 yrs. I have 3 dds 14 ,12 and 8yr.
I chose Abeka online for all 3 girls because I felt it would be good to have a "teacher" for them to see and listen to. I just don't feel comfortable yet to be able to use the other curriculum. It is overwhelming to me. We have our ood and bad days. My dds are "behind" if you go by what lesson they "should" be on. I have also had to drp my dd8 down to the 2nd grade math (I am teaching er that because they don't have the video available) It is nice to be able to tweek things a bit.
DD14 is not liking hs because she is a socialite and enjoyed the 2 yrs of ps that she went to (what a mistake that was) They went to private christian before that until that school closed.
Enough of that. I'm just so glad to find other nurses.
Sorry this is so long

Neat to see all the fellow nurses here! I have been an RN for 18 years! Time has flown! I work 1-2 evenings a week at a long term care facility. I love work but love being home with the boys more....the boys are 12,11 and 8. We have homeschooled for 6 years and love it!
Some days are better than others but we always get some sort of learning done.
really it is a good way to add $$ to the finances and homeschool the boys.
Great to see you all!

Hi! I'm an RN in the NICU, full time right now. I have a daughter who is only one but I am already thinking about homeschooling her once she's old enough. I'm just curious what a typical week is like for some of you? I would probably drop down to working part time in order to home school but just wanted to get finances in order these next couple years before we jump into homeschooling. Any help would be great! Thanks so much and god bless all you hard working mamas :)

I'm a RN. I contract work weekends in Critical Care. I homeschool four of my five children children ages 4-13. My oldest, 20, graduated last year and now in local college. I had been using a Charlotte Mason and eclectic approach to our homeschool for the past three years (We are going into our 6th year homeschooling.) but this year switched to worktext, ACE and CLE. My children started out with ACE so it's not new but I sure wished I had stuck with it from the beginning! It's so freeing. My children are learning, flourishing and I'm not burned out with exhaustion from it all. I'm still tired at times but this is one area that I can't afford to slack or get burned out. Worktexts have worked wonderfully for us.

I'm so encouraged by all the homeschooling nurses out there! Does anyone happen to be in the Denver metro area? I'd love to connect with someone locally.

I'm not yet a homeschooling mommy- well, at least not by government standards. My two year old, however, is doing very well in her learning and we're already starting to learn letters by "The Three R's" book way. I told her what a B was the other day and she's going around saying "Mommy, B!" So I think that if she's interested, I'll keep it going!

Thanks for all the posts, ladies!

Hello everyone,
I have been a nurse for four years. Three years I worked as a school nurse and my children attended public school. The fourth year I stayed home with my children and homeschooled. This year I am homeschooling both my children 13 and 10 and working full time 7p-7a , 4 on 3 off and 3 on 4 off at a local nursing home. It is going to be a busy year. I am glad to see there are so many nurses who homeschool.

God Bless,
Rebecca

Hey! I was so glad to find this thread, too!
I work a couple of nights a week at a psych hospital. Since I have to sleep during "school hours" following a shift, I try to schedule shifts when my daughters, ages 9 and 11, are going to be in their enrichment classes, or on weekends. When I have to sleep during school days, I have a whole schedule of "no-teacher-required" stuff for the girls to do- things like typing practice, required reading, workbook exercises, and sometimes even tests. My two girls are "deputized" to watch each other and report back bad behavior, so they seem to be doing their schedule as written and getting along.

Working, homeschooling, and keeping up with my autistic son (who goes to Special Ed in ps- bless them!), and doing all the cooking, shopping, and housekeeping that goes along with being a Mommie has really made me step up my game! However, I like the challenge of keeping all these balls in the air! Also, knowing that relaxation has become a necessity instead of a luxury, has made me less reluctant to take it easy and more willing to request help. I've only been "back to work" for about 8 months now, but I'm enjoying it and finding that life at home hasn't suffered.

((hugs)) to all my fellow nurse/homeschool moms out there!

I started reading this thread and then I saw Martinbeef's post and she said her youngest was 14 so I got confused until I saw the date of the original post, April 2007! Anyhoo, just thought it was funny...For what it's worth, I am in nursing school right now and my kiddies are ds17, ds13 and dd10. Some days we don't get a lot of homeschooling done because of my school work but sometimes that is just the way life is. I am happy if we do reading, writing and math. Can't go wrong with the basics!
squidward

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions