General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Any other homeschooling nurses? I need encouragement!

re: Any other homeschooling nurses? I need encouragement!

Hi Melanie!
I'm new to this board, but I'm a full time RN in Michigan. I work 3 12's, F/S/S nights. I've been picking up and extra 4 hours every Saturday because we're short. This is my first year homeschooling my 12 year old son. We haven't started with a science or a history curriculum yet, but so far we both love it! I love spending more time with him and he loves being done in a few hours then having the rest of the day to pursue his own interests. I was very worried about teaching him math, but we're using Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra and it has taken away all my worries!
Just know you're not alone, there are a few of us at my hospital who are homeschooling and even a few very young and bright nurses who were homeschooled themselves. They're my best cheerleaders and give me reassurance all the time that homeschooled children grow up into smart and well adjusted adults. :)

Way to go working moms!1 I do use some SOS for busy days, otherwise we do some form of school most days of the year. Sometimes only one subject, sometimes something on the computer. I read at night to them and discuss. They use CLE for math and LA so they can do them on my work days. It is a 365 day year so we hav plenty of breaks!!!! I dont worry as long as we move forward.........Lots of Blessings!!!!!

I'm a RN at our local hospital. I work FRI 7p on a medical pediatric floor and house supv on SAT nite. I homeschool one dd (first grade) full time during the week. I catch a lot of flack from people I work with, but I don't expect the world to understand my beliefs. I love my job, but I love my children more. It does get tough sometimes when we go to mandatory overtime. It's nice to know I'm not alone in my journey. Have a blessed day! Jenny

I work full time (3 12-hour shifts) as a labor and delivery nurse 7a-7p. It's hard to balance work and homeschooling, but my husband does help out also. He will do worksheets w/ the kids a couple evenings a week when I'm at work. Our kids are ages 5 and 7 (kindergarten and 2nd grade). This is our 2nd year homeschooling. The kids go to daycare when I'm at work. We're not sure how long we will homeschool for, since they can't keep going to daycare "forever" when I work, and dropping to part time is not an option right now...
Erin

Are the other nurses that posted still here? I'd love to chat sometime and share ideas for balancing school and working.

Yes still here nad going crazy!! LOL! I would love to support all the working nurses and moms in the HS world. My local group has harldly any mommmy's who work and it is hard to lean on them for support! I dont have time to go to all the extra things they do and school the kids too. I work two 12 hr day shifts in recovery room. See you.

Hi! I saw this post and got so excited!!! My kids are 7, 5, 3, and almost 1. I am not a nurse, but a nursing student. I am in my second quarter out of seven, so I still have a ways to go. Every day I question whether or not I am doing the right thing. I have four children, but only one old enough to homeschool (first grade). I love homeschooling her, I have always wanted to be a nurse, but it seems like I just kept having babies so my plans got put on hold. I took all my prerequisites and told myself I would apply and get in- when and if -the time was right.

In January of 2007 my husband got laid off work when the GM plant he worked for shut down. He is working on his masters, but we know we will never make the money or have the insurance like we did when he was working for GM. I hope to be able to supplement our income and only work part time, but I have learned I do not know what the future holds, I might end up working full time depending on the job my husband is able to find. I started school in Sept 2007 and will finish in May of 2009 (Associate RN). We did get a severence which is enough to make ends meet and that runs out in March 2009, so the timing is almost perfect. My husband also plans on graduating in May 2009.
We use a beka and our week goes like this:
On Saturdays, I pull out all the work book pages for the next week and put them into a 5 pocket folder. She knows when she gets up to go in the office and do her worksheets. If she has any questions she can ask her dad or our babysitter depending on who is here. I do reading and spelling and anything she needs help with whenever I get home, or whenever I can, even sometimes on weekends. I am NOT able to find the time for science and history, but am going to try to do that type thing over summer break. My husband helps with reading and flashcards too. I try to squeeze in "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" about three times a week for my five year old, who will not officially start Kindergarten until August.

I do feel left out of a lot of things now that I am not at home all the time. the playdates, lunches at the park, evn the evening get togethers- I am to tired to go to, and all the homeschool activites are in the daytime, so those things are all out. It is a crazy life, I loved being a stay at home mom, but I think I will also love being a nurse, it is such a flexible field don't you think???

*Sorry this is sooo long* I really should be studying, so it is easy to type a lot when you are avoiding that :)

You will enjoy being a nurse. It can take a lot out of you on certain days, but then other days it is very rewarding. Depending on what kind of work you do, it can be flexible. We're short-staffed right now where I work, so we've been picking up overtime, but I do enjoy the weeks where I just work my 3 12-hour shifts. (Did I say "just"?? LOL) Good luck in your schooling!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions