General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Any other homeschooling nurses? I need encouragement!

Any other homeschooling nurses? I need encouragement!

I work as a part time Rn and often feel left out with the other HS moms who dont have or want to work. I homeschool htree sometimes 4 days a week all year long to allow for days at work and play! It takes us a year to comple a grad with Christial light for math and Language and a year and a half for Sonlight for history. Too much reading for mommy!!!! I always feel behind. The books are great though! Should I go to more of a workbook approach or keep the mix of the two. I have Science SOS bought from a yardsale. I use a little of everything and pull from it what we can (Videos, books, read alouds, trips, camping, life in general) Thanks for all the input. I hope I am getting enough in, my children seem to be thriving.

Melaine RN

re: Any other homeschooling nurses? I need encouragement!

Hi Melanie..
Welcome to the board!
I pretty much do the same thing you do. I work p/t and homeschool about 3-4 days per week, year round.

FYI--the only reason I saw your post was b/c it was on the front home page. We usually post under Chit-Chat for off topic stuff, or under the Homeschool one for stuff about homeschooling.

What kind of nursing do you do? I work for a large HMO in California in a Same Day clinic type area. Worked telemetry for years before that in a hospital. There are several other p/t nurses on this board as well. Hopefully they will see your post. If not, repost under one of the other forums.

How many kids do you have? I have three, but only hs one, the youngest, a boy age 7. My teenaged girls are in public high school. In fact, one will graduate in 5 weeks.

So do you sometimes feel you never get a day off ((smile))...? For me it is worth it though....

Welcome aboard, hope you like to join in our discussions..

jules

I do feel overwhelemed at times, but we have lots of fun too. I work two twelves a week in recovery room at a large magnet hospital. I take call on the weekend whe it is my turn. I think it's worth it too. I will try the other post next time. I am new at this.

Two kids almost 9, and ten, 4dogs,3horses, cats and a goat!!!!

Hi! Welcome! I'm currently a Home Health RN. I've been a nurse for over 16 years (Med Surg, L&D, Critical Care,ER, House Supervision, Director of Nursing at a Skilled Care Facility,etc.)
I love nursing, but love Homeschooling my children more. I still work Mondays and pull call. I have three children. My son is 20 and is college. My daughter is almost 13 and will be 8th grade next week (homeschool). My youngest son just turned 7 and will be in 1st grade (homeschool).We have homeschooled for 8 years. I really feel fortunate, because I feel that I have the best of both world. I've worked part-time since 1999. This is odd to some people, because I had just completed my Masters Degree and had a Director's of Nursing Position. I felt that I was neglecting my family. I have never regretted cutting back to part-time. The time I've had with my children has been priceless. There's no amount of money I would trade it for. Good luck!

Lori

i agree with lori. i've worked very part-time for many years now. i used to co-manage a telemetry unit in Cincinnati hospital, but it was too much! i'm thankful for my nursing job, but really thankful that I can homeschool! :) our kids are 14-21 years old (four kids, two girls/two boys) and we have two full time college students now! good luck! :) susan

I am also a nurse and have been for 12 years. I work at Mayo in Rochester, MN in the emergency department but have also worked medical oncology/hospice and infusion therapy. I work .5 FTE straight evenings from 3:30 until midnight. I love it! I have a great family and a rewarding career. My husband and I work different hours so we don't need day care. I have five children from almost 2 to 11. Three are girls and two are boys. We have always homeschooled. There are days that feel a bit overwhelming but for the most part it goes great. We use Switched on Schoolhouse and my family loves it. My kids know more about computers than my husband and I do. I never planned to be a teacher and SOS sure makes it simpler for us. Our children are all 2 grades ahead of where they should be for their ages and score much higher on standardized testing. Our 11 year old was 11th grade overall this year in test scores. On the days I feel like it is a lot and feel like giving up, that reassures me that we made the right decision. Our children are our legacy and our most valuable investment. God has entrusted them to our love and care. I want to hear Him say, "Well done!" Don't give up, I believe it will be worth it!

Thanks for the replies from the nurses. WOW are we busy!! I am having to pick up an extra day, so school will be part time for a while. Have you always used SOS? I have the 4th grade set and use it as a supplement when short on time for workbooks. Thanks and best of luck to ALL working moms.

Wow!! I'm glad to see other women working full/part time and homeschooling. This is our first year homeschooling and I am currently working 32 hours per week. I am not a nurse, I am a pharmacist for a grocery store chain. I have 3 children: 16mo.dd, 3.5 ds and 6yo ds(1st grade). My husband works from home. I've been thinking about homeschooling for almost 2 years. My oldest has been in montessori programs and private school kindergarten. We finally decided to do what God has been calling us to do, homeschool our children. I'm so excited!! I just wanted to say HEllO! and say YOU GO GIRLS!!

This post was edited on Aug 28, 2007 01:05 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions