General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

what does your homeschool day schedule for 2012-2013 look like?

what does your homeschool day schedule for 2012-2013 look like?

I'm already getting off schedule and this is only our second week into the new school year!

re: what does your homeschool day schedule for 2012-2013 look like?

I use to try to schedule everything and life just kept getting in the way and causing me to stress to much. Here is what we do. First thing we all gather in the classroom AKA the living room upstairs and do everything we can do together: Bible, Bible verse, any memorization we are working on like preposition and states and capitals, spelling rules. About an hour later everyone retreats to their room except one child. Usually I start with my 13DD and help her with one or two subjects to get her started, then I will teach my 11dd anything she needs help with. Then I will check on 13dd before helping my 8dd. MY 16dd and 11dd really need me very little so more of my attention is on my 13dd and 8dd. My goal is to be done teaching by 12 and they just need to complete their school work for the day.
Tammy

the kids wake up around 8:30 or 9 and have some wake up quiet time in bed with an Ipod or Nintendo DS or listen to music.

Then it's breakfast and Bible.What subjects we do are never in any particular order and we just go until we are done. Many outside activities will be happening so we will need to keep on task.

Dinner at 7 then bed.

We're in week 3 and already taking a sick day. This is how my days are going so far:
(just one left at home - 14 yos plus a daughter in college)

I usually wake up about 6 or 7 am; shower; eat breakfast; check email. Dh's schedule varies. Sometimes he's out of town all week. Sometimes he's up & out of the house before dawn. So my wake up time is flexible.

8:00 (all times are approximate, I don't really look at the clock.)
I put all of Luke's workboxes on the table, see if there's anything I need to check or grade, pick out the things that we'll read together - usually Bible and Art History books.

9:00 If Kate & Luke are still asleep, I start waking them up. Luke usually eats breakfast. Kate doesn't have any early classes this semester, so she has time to study or run errands.

9:30 Luke & I read together on the couch, and go over anything from yesterday that he needs help with. Then he starts going through his subjects. Math is 5 lessons a week. The other subjects are usually 3 or 4 times a week, so he decides which ones he'll do that day. As he finishes each one, he puts the box back on the shelf. He can do most assignments on his own, but we still discuss things as he does his work and I try to be available for questions anytime. Sometimes he decides to work on something later in the night, but usually he quits sometime in the afternoon.

Other things on our daytime schedule:
About once a week I have to spend the morning shopping for my father. On those days, our reading time gets moved to later in the day.

On Thursdays, Luke works at the Food Pantry from 9-11:30.

Here's ours, with 3 kids, 5th, 3rd and 1st:

Once breakfast and chores are done, we hit school. We usually begin reciting the week's memory verse and then our combined subject, alternating history and science. That probably takes half an hour and we do it mostly in the living room or kitchen if there is an experiment.

Then they all sit at the table and begin on their independent work. Math and writing is every day, they alternate spelling and grammar. 5th grader has logic puzzles 2x a week. Fridays we don't do writing and do art to finish the week.

1st grader is usually done within half an hour, 5th grader takes the longest, but this way when they are done they can run away and not have to wait for siblings.

It is a very loose schedule! I schedule by knowing how many pages or lessons of each subject we need to do per week so however long it takes to get through them is how long we do school. It never takes more than two hours for everything.

Just one being hs...and he is in 9th with taking band and math at a university model school. He also is alter serving most mornings at our parish and spends a good bit of time with his grandfather doing history (they do the class together!) and community service by helping him at home and at his senior center.

Bottom line? I oversee the other work, which he does during the day and some evenings (while older two who are in school do homework). He used a boxed, traditional curriculum and clearly defined daily work. But WHEN in the day he does it is not overly scheduled this year.

We have always been a school at home, very traditional hs fmaily so this year has started off a bit differently. But it is working...for now!

Anne

At 8:30 we start school. (By this time everyone is up, showered, had breakfast, and is ready.)

Between 8:30 until around 11:30 or 12:00 the kids work pretty solidly, and I help whoever needs it. I don't care what order they do their subjects in, as long as they get at least half the school day complete.

We start back up again at 1. They work until around 3, finishing off the rest of their subjects.

Oh, maybe I should say that I have all older kids. 11th grade, 9th grade, and 6th grade.

This post was edited on Oct 08, 2012 01:19 AM

Our primary schedule is just kind of blah...lol. I work 3rd shift so I come in and sleep from about 7:30 to 10:30am, then I get up and fix something to eat. Usually by about 11:00am we are getting started. We almost always do Math first because it seems to take the longest, then we follow that with our Geography, again because it seems to be a bit time consuming, then for the most part I can just assign the work in the other sections and the kiddos can do most of it on their own...grammar, vocab, Science. We go to the library at least 2 times a week, more if we have a reason to. All of our formal type studies..or book work is usually done by 2:30pm which has my kiddos finishing up about the time their public school friends are getting home from school,so it works out pretty well for us. We of course add in field trips or breaks as needed and we aren't set in stone and so hard core that we don't go off the beaten path. Actually we stray off it frequently..lol.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions