General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Our orderly disorder;-)

Our orderly disorder;-)

This for the lady who was asking what a typical days looks like for a 3rd grader, here ya go! I have a DD, 8yo "3rd" grade and a DS 4, pre-school.

We start the day with my daughter reading a chapter of the Bible on her own and then narrating it to me. When then pray together and start our other bible study and a reading from Hero Tales.

Math is next, could be anywhere from 10 mins- 40 mins. While she does her independent work for math, I read to my son from the bible, work on a memory verse, and then do some letter or number work with him.

Next is our LA block consisting of 1 or 2 lessons from R & S, spelling (copywork & dictation), reading, using DITHOR, and a read aloud. I try to involve my son in the read aloud, but he usually prefers running around the house torturing the dog or pretending to be Bear Grylls! While my DD does independent work, I again sit down with my son, usually at this point I'm reading to him and doing some worksheets together.

We then do history/geography. This usually consists of read aloud time, notebooking, and/or timeline and map work. We are studying American History, but twice a week I read from some world history books.

Three times a week we do science, once a week we do Art and a piano lesson.

What's the disorderly part of all this you may. Well, for one my husband leaves for work anywhere from 9am-10:30am, so our days don't always start at the same time. Of course, having preschooler also causes some chaos. Further more we are involved in a homeschool group which meets twice week, once in the afternoon for park days or field trips and on a another day in the morning for PE. So sometime we do "school" for a couple of hours, break for PE, and then come back later to finish up. And the cherry on the top, we school Tues-Sat to accommodate my husband's work schedule.

~Nancy

re: Our orderly disorder;-)

Thank you.

re: Our orderly disorder;-)

Could you clarify the acronyms?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions