Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Chemistry for 8th/9th grade?

Chemistry for 8th/9th grade?

My dd is going to begin home schooling in November after being in public school.

She is interested in doing a Chemistry course for science. I was looking at Apologia and although she is advanced for her age, I am concerned that it will be too difficult for her at 13.

Can an advanced 13yr. old handle this course without too many struggles?

Any other suggestions for Chemistry courses for this level? She is interested in doing experiments as well, so the ideal program would include hands-on labs.

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

re: Chemistry for 8th/9th grade?

Apologia's Chemistry has Algebra 1 as a prerequisite. Typically their Physical science is done in 8th or 9th, biology in 9th or 10th and chemistry in 10th or 11th, but I know they (Apologia) say that the math schedule is the most important consideration.

The only chemistry that I can think of that wouldn't require the math would be God's Design Science, but I'm not sure that an advanced 8th grader would be challenged enough by it. I'm not sure if Abeka's Chemistry requires the math or not.

HTH :-)

Thanks! She took Algebra I in 7th grade in public school, although, I don't think she she has a strong working knowledge of the subject, she does "know" it.

I will look into the one you mentioned. Even if it isn't too challenging, she can do another Chemistry course down the road to dig deeper maybe.

Suddenly needing to decide on courses for 8th grade and above is over whelming, so I appreciate any input!

Thanks again!

FWIW, my 8th grader took Algebra 1 in 7th grade also. This year for 8th she's doing:

IEW's Elegant Essay, Windows to the World and hopefully, Speech Boot Camp
TT Algebra 2
Apologia's Physical Science
World Geography
Foods for Today

Piano Lessons and 4-H Projects.

Have you looked at Real Science 4 Kids? They have a Chemistry Level II book geard for 8 or 9th grade. My oldest is in 9th this year and using Apologia for Chem with the Real Science book for supplimental use. Not that I think Apologia is incomplete, but I prefer how the RS4K book explains a couple of topics.

If you choose to use RS4K, they do offer an online class for it as well.

If she's had algebra I, I don't think she'd have a problem with chemistry. Here a few other possibilities:

Conceptual Chemisty - has good videos on their associated website. I'm not sure about labs.

Spectrum Chemistry from Rainbow Publishing would probably work well and has very good labs. They also have a supplement called Bridge Math which helps develop the math skills needed for Chem.

Dive Chemistry CDs can be used with any curriculum and have labs.

There is also a good free course in High School Chemistry available through Georgia Public Broadcasting. It consists of well done videos and worksheets. It does not come with a textbook but the topics could be correlated with a standard Chem book.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions