Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

HOD vs MFW

HOD vs MFW

I just cant decide theres A LOT of things i like about MFW and HOD.

I already know We are doing LHFHG for the pre-ker,kindergartener and 1st graders.

I just cant decide what to do with the 2nd-6th graders

If we did MFW i would like to put the 2nd graders in HOD so it could be somewhat split w/ 7 kids in HOD and 6 in MFW, would that be possible?

I did get suggested how to put 2nd-6th graders in BHFHG, and that *might* work but im wondering how it could work for pretty advanced 6th graders? it says it extends to 5th grade.

We really would like to only have 2 programs for prek-6th grade, and we want something easy to follow and flexible if we miss a day that it wouldnt hurt us.

I do like the fact w/ MFW CTG that we could have the 3rd-6th graders study the ancients b/c the 8th,9th and 10th graders are.

None of the other moms prefer one over the other either.

What do you think sounds like a better fit?

This post was edited on Jun 17, 2011 02:25 PM

re: HOD vs MFW

I don't think it matters whether you do HOD or MFW. With that big of an age gap you'll HAVE to beef up for some and dumb down for others. Since I firmly believe beefing up generally works better.

Have you looked at the skills level of each kid and see where each one will fit? Once you write it all out see which will work best.

Also consider, whichever one you use each child needs their own level of math and english. What you're really combining is history, science, storytime, narration, etc. The 3Rs need to be at each child's level.

Personally, MFW fits that bill the best - not that the other couldn't be done. MFW has ideas already written in for "beefing" it up - it goes through gr 8, so use some of those ideas for the 6th grader that can handle it. Again, that's the beauty of MFW. Also, the book basket suggestions are wonderful for fleshing it out a bit more.

As for scheduling, there are pros and cons to both ways. Some would say that the daily spread of HOD is easier to follow particularly when there are short weeks because they just don't see the week, but MFW can *easily be adjusted. I like seeing the week overall and being able to adjust as WE need and what works for our specific situation. I did a lot of that w/ ds in 6th - and it worked just fine. Having that light Friday is another advantage to this. To some extent, this will be more minimal in your situation.

Also, i'm going to put the plug in for doing the same time period. I will be schooling 6 dc next yr - 4 of mine and 2 others - and even though the 8th graders "should" be doing different things, I am probably going to do American w/ all of them. I hadn't started out that way, because I was trying to plan for individual needs.
My thought process...
Trying to figure out that plan really wasn't working for different reasons. Once I stopped a sec and thought about my HSer's course, it hit me. If we switched the order, and he was ok w/ that idea, then he would be doing American like the littles. And, I could easily cover American for the 8th graders. Once that decision was made, everything else started falling into place just a little better. I still had the final decision between 2 good options, but at least the time frame was really good.
It will also be helpful when planning field trips or activities.

K

Just my two cents, but LHFHG will not be nearly challenging enough as is for a 2nd grader (first grade is a stretch imho.) HOD is not really a one-size-fits-most curriculum. Usually the spread is max 3 years, and that's only with using the extensions with Bigger and above. If you're looking for a curriculum that encompasses a wide age range, MFW would probably fit the bill (or even Weaver - you could do all the kids with one program.)

I have to disagree with the previous poster, which is fine because we all have different opinions. I am doing LHFHG with my to-be first grader in the fall. We just started. It is a wonderful program for first grade and many moms use it for first. It is listed for 5-7 year olds. My daughter is 6. That is one of the beauties of HOD--the flexibility. There are 1st grade options with it, and many of the moms who use it this way use the right side of Beyond. It works out very nicely. We are using CLE 1 math and English and Abeka phonics. I just wanted to let you know that there are moms that think that it is very appropriate for 1st grade. Again, I have no problem with the previous poster thinking it is a stretch, but just wanted you to know that many moms use it successfully and enjoy it.

I agree that a first grader will get so much more out of the read-alouds in Little Hearts than a Kindergartner. Of course, each child is different. My 1st grader was just newly able to tolerate non-picture books (aka chapter books without pictures) at that age. Before that, she would lose interest. Also, I found the history spine to be over even my 1st graders head. She enjoyed Beyond's books much better (of course she was a 2nd grader at that point). We only made it through one Burgess book. I ended up using SL K for 1st grade.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions