Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

saxon Alg. 1, which edition??

saxon Alg. 1, which edition??

I am thinking that I will go with Saxon for algebra 1. I looked at their website and they list an edition 3 and an edition 4. The price difference is only a few dollars.

* What do you know about the differences??
*would the teaching CD's match either one??

I am a little confused......

TIA
rmiz

re: saxon Alg. 1, which edition??

My dd's using 3rd edition, and we have the DIVE CD for it in case she gets stuck, but so far hasn't needed to use that. We bought it from My Father's World which includes lesson plans.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/60/0/0/1#7th-12th

Oh, great idea since I will probably be ordering Ancients History!!!!

I am still wondering what the difference would be between he two editions. Or, if I found an older 2nd edition, would it be worth getting???

thanks
rmiz

We have also used the 3rd. ed. in the past with the "TEACHER" DVD's sold at cbd.com.

I think either the DIVE or TEACHER Dvd's work "best" ;)

are most people doing 3rd edition??
is the 4th edition very recent??? is anyone doing the 4th edition??

rmiz

Well, my dd did the 2nd edition of the 1/2 book, and we ran into problems with it. There were some errors in the answer key, and that edition didn't have the lesson #'s in fine print next to the problems to help you refer back to the lesson where that concept was taught. That's one of the features of Saxon that I love, so we really missed not having that in 2nd ed. of 1/2. That's why I bought the newer edition of Alg 1.

Not sure of ALL the differences between 3rd and 4th ed., except I know that MFW is still using 3rd and that's good enough for me. I do know that in newer editions of Saxon, the current publisher is removing more and more of the geometry out of Algebra 1 and up, as they've plugged a separate Geometry course in between Alg 1 and 2 that wasn't necessary before. (John Saxon did not write a separate Geometry course because his versions of Alg 1 and 2, and the first part of Advanced Math, covered all the geometry you need.)

I see no need to get 4th edition.

What *I* would do, if you have younger kids coming up that will use Saxon (in fact, I *should* do this!) is to go ahead and buy extra copies of any consumable parts now so that you can use the same materials later on.

This post was edited on May 16, 2011 08:53 PM

:o)

This post was edited on May 16, 2011 09:58 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions