Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Rod and Staff vs ABEKA

Rod and Staff vs ABEKA

We are still trying to find a curriculum that will fit all of my children. I have 2 going into 1st Grade and 1 in 6th. I have a friend that has recommended me to look at R &S for LA. I have always used Abeka and we are so tired of it. Can anyone tell me how R&S compares to Abeka and the pros and cons of it?

Thanks
Jamie

re: Rod and Staff vs ABEKA

R+S:
- b+W
- mostly non-consumable
- mastery approach to learning w/ built-in reviews
- easy to use TM (basically one per subject/book)
- VERY inexpensive (particularly in comparison to ABeka)
- they don't update A.L.L T.H.E T.I.M.E so editions will be usable for ALL your dc (w/ the rare exception)

K

CLE might be another one to take a look at. Rod and Staff, Abeka and CLE are all traditional English programs, but we have had the most success with CLE.

I have used both and if I had to pick one, I'd pick Rod & Staff (we are using it now, too). Simply, it explains concepts well and you go over and over the material over years. It's solid and very inexpensive. You can pick it up used for a song most of the time.

I haven't used Abeka so I can't comment on that, but I've used Rod and Staff Grammar for 2nd and 3rd grade and plan on continuing. I find it to be very, very user friendly!! Great TM's. Text is written to the student so they can work independenlty, though we usually do grammar together. Lots, of review!! Additional worksheets to supplement text book exercises. I was introduced to Rod and Staff Grammar by a long time home schooler (10 plus years) and she raved about it, and I've since met several other long time homeschoolers who also rave about it. So, I feel very confident about it and I like the results we are getting with it.

Oh, and yes, it's quite inexpensive which is a definite plus.

I don't do "language arts," but I would choose R&S's English and spelling over ABeka's grammar/comp and spelling.

R&S is equally as good academically as ABeka but without the burn-out factor. I think that a textbook is better for the grammar/comp than a workbook, because I think it's important for children to write on actual paper instead of filling in lines in a workbook (I think it's physically easier, as well).

And I just like the gentle, godly spirit with which R&S materials are written (even though I disagree theologically with R&S in some areas, which usually only show up in the history, not in English, math, and spelling).

I have always used Abeka and we are so tired of it. Can anyone tell me how R&S compares to Abeka and the pros and cons of it?

Depending on what is tiring you in ABeka, you might be equally tired out from R&S. ;-) What aspect of ABeka is wearying you and/or the children?

I have used both, but found both to be equally simple on me, the teacher. I ended up staying with ABeka because my children couldn't stand the black&white books, and they were smaller than the workbook pages for ABeka. For them, the page would always flip shut as they were sitting there, trying to copy onto separate paper. (I know some supposedly don't do the work on paper but do it orally, but my children don't learn when they can't "do" some writing of the material.) So for us...ABeka worked out better. It is a very individual thing.

Maybe you could share what you are looking for? (or do not want)?

My children and I cannot tolerate some of the meaningless colorfulness of A Beka for its phonics, math, and LA. It bothers me to no end.
R&S English on the contrary is well liked.
We also like to write on real paper, not just fill in some blanks, or write on a line in a workbook.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions