Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Sonlight compared to Veritas

Sonlight compared to Veritas

I am really debating on history right now. I have used Sonlight and I like it, but I keep looking longingly at Veritas. We use their Bible curriculum and love the way it is set up and I think that Veritas might be a little more rigorous, which would be nice. What do you think? Anyone on here have experience with both programs?

re: Sonlight compared to Veritas

No advice, but I am interested in the differences also. I have been drooling over the Veritas catalog for years but never had the nerve (or the funds) to try it!

Have you looked at this thread on the SL forum:

https://www.sonlight-forums.com/showthread.php?150261-SL-or-Veritas&p=1923858

It's in the choosing forum so I believe folks without a SL forum account are still able to view it. I didn't read through the thread but looks like there are several responses to it.

Well, we are doing Sonlight and supplementing with Veritas. I'm not sure how it compares when done *fully* but a lot of the things overlap. Veritas Press (other than Ancient Egypt) focuses mostly on Western history (you won't get much on China, India, etc.). We use their Bible and History, though. Many of the books they recommend are doubled up in Sonlight, and we use the "other" Veritas books recommended from the library (excepting the spines because those are used the whole time... we keep the Sonlight Spine), if we want. What WE do, is I buy the history homeschool kit. It comes with the cards, and the teacher's manual. It is, I believe, $44. The program is designed to essentially go through one card a week. Written on the back of each card are the resources that go along with that card. It lists all the resource books they recommend and which pages to read. You can do AS MUCH or AS LITTLE as you want. Also, in the Teacher's manual (which you can get on cd or as a book) are worksheets and tests for every card. I like it, because it puts into chronological order what we are using with Sonlight. And it gives me some worksheets to do as well. We contemplated going Veritas the whole way, but ultimately decided against it. I like the read alouds for Sonlight and some of the Cores better (mostly due to which areas of history they study). However, Veritas is a very wonderful program if you would decide to go that route! Oh, and it also comes with a song that puts everything you learn into chronological order. My kids like the song, and it really helps keep the order of events to memory!

I hope this helps a little. I'm not fully in the know as we don't do veritas "fully", but hopefully this give you an idea :).

Jamie

I've tried using Veritas in the past. While I like all their resources, I especially liked the Streams of Civilization spine, I found that I had to plan much more, figure out how to put it together more, etc. I do prefer the laid out daily plan of Sonlight. I also like that Sonlight has at least some Comprehnsion questions for all their books. This is my first year with Sonlight, but I used Winterpromise in the past which is very similiar to Sonlight.

When I was using VP...I ending up going back to WP. Sonlight is working out great this year as well. I also like Sonlight's built in geography.

It is not a "quality" issue, as both programs are high quality. Sonlight and Winterpromise are just much more user friendly to me. If you are good with how Veritas Press is laid out....then go for it. I have heard others complain it is "dry"...I didn't really get that. But we were more drawn to WP at the time. (I ended up using the Streams of History as a spine for WP in the early ancient history...because I didn't like the Mystery of History spine for WP)

btw...we are doing Sonlight 100 this year..which is American History.

Nutshell: Sonlight is easier to use for me, quality of two programs are similiar.

edited to add: I don't know if this is just in the 100 and up with sonlight..but they do have writing assignments that I like and also current event assignments that I try to work in. I don't remember seeing that in VP.

jules

This post was edited on Mar 03, 2011 10:56 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions