Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

ABeka vs. CLE for Elem Math

ABeka vs. CLE for Elem Math

We switched from A Beka math to CLE at the 3rd grade level because it seemed like A Beka took a huge leap earlier than I wanted to (specifically in long division and long multiplication) in their Arithmetic 3. CLE is going okay but I'm getting a little resistance from the troops about the amount of pages in CLE vs. the one two-sided page in A Beka. I want them to hang in there until the end of CLE Math 3 to really nail down those multiplication facts but I wonder if there will be a time I'll be able to switch back to A Beka. Do the two programs intersect anytime soon? Thx.

re: ABeka vs. CLE for Elem Math

My dd did CLE 3 last year and is doing A beka 4 this year with the DVD teacher. She's doing really well with it so far. Although, I did take great strides over the summer in making sure she had those facts down cold. I also supplemented with some 4th grade level ACE PACES to accomplish this over the summer months, combined with Quarter Mile Math on the computer.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how well she's doing with her A Beka this year. I was a little hesitant to try it, knowing it would be so "advanced." What I am realizing, though, is just how much daily class time is spent reviewing and drilling with the class, which works great for my strong auditory learner. They play games all the time, and the teacher really makes sure the class has the material down before testing them. The key is not so much in what is in the textbooks, but rather in how the material is taught. Some may say it's drill and kill and that kids don't like that sort of thing and aren't really learning much, but I have a different story here. My dd is ALWAYS talking about what she's learning in class. She also just mentioned to me again just today how she's hoping that she'll get to do A beka video again for next year. She says she absolutely loves it and hopes to continue. I thought for sure by now that the "honeymoon" phase of this program would have worn out, but her enthusiasm is still going strong. She's very much a "social Sue", and I think she really likes having a classroom full of kids to help motivate her each day. The teachers are great for 4th grade too. It's up-to-date and very well done.

Probably more than you cared to know, but as long as you're willing to put the teaching effort into it, then your kids should probably be fine doing the A Beka. I do think there's more in terms of geometry in the CLE, though. A Beka is not meant to be used independently by the student; it's meant to be taught. The teacher spends quite a lot of time walking the kids through many of those practice problems that I hear so many folks crossing off. The nice thing about the newer 4th grade book is that it has some problems in black and some in green. The green ones are meant to be used for extra practice if it is needed, and of course, there's still even more practice in the back of the book as well, if needed.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy. Sounds like we might be able to transition back at the end of CLE3 then. We won't use the video but I love teaching it so that's not so much of the issue but good to know in case I feel like taking a break down the road. My concern was that A Beka was full steam ahead for 4th grade too which would leave us far behind having not completed their Arithmetic 3. I may integrate the two grade 3 programs toward the end to help ramp us up for ABeka's Arithmetic 4.

99, Did you feel the transition to CLE from Abeka was ok? I am thinking on this for next yr with my dd who will be in 3rd also.
Any likes/dislikes from one to the other?

The transition wasn't too bad. On the facts/computation it was easy because CLE tracks a little slower than ABeka. There were several other geometry-related things that we had not covered in ABeka yet that we had to get up to speed on but the nice thing is that they were simple enough that one explanation was all it called for and CLE spirals back often enough that there was plenty of review of those topics (like polygons, ray/line/segment, etc.).

I like ABeka. I like the challenge. I like the variety of applications they use in their computation exercises and their story problems as well as their thinking caps and other mental math work. I just don't like the way they introduced long division before they even finished the multiplication and division facts.

CLE is good. It's more of a smooth and steady feel. The abundance of topics outside of computation have kept my Kids' interest high while they complete a lot of facts practice. Their pages are more spread out which for my kids makes it seem like it's a lot more work when really it's probably close to the same--especially because most of the instruction is directed at the student in the workbook which takes up space. With Abeka we often worked problems on separate graph paper because there wasn't as much solution space. But for young ones they just see 2 pages vs. 4 pages depending on their mood. =)

My third grader likes ABeka because of all the "fun stuff" but was a little overwhelmed with the long division so soon after just learning some of the facts being used. She thinks CLE is pretty easy which is appealing but misses some parts of the ABeka material. So you can see why I'm looking at moving back after we nail all the multiplication and division facts. I do like CLE's flashcard system a lot and will probably continue with it even if we go back to ABeka.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions