Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Anyone Use Life with Fred and Updated to chalk dust Math???s

Anyone Use Life with Fred and Updated to chalk dust Math???s

We switched to Life with Fred from using Math U See in higher grades. We thought it would be great and that it really is a math that in order to do the math you need to know how to apply the story. It seemed like they would learn their math and not have soooo many sheets. But it seems to be taken even longer and lots of sit down and help.

Considering going back to Math U See - but hard to place in some ways Life with Fred is so advanced. But Math U See is so formulas and do. Now I know Math U See has the Honors program and not sure if it will get you up to speed. For higer math prep.

Hubby does say Life with Fred does definately get you use to the way they give math in Secondary education. But it is not neat little equations, but yet Math U See does get the formula in their head better and some longer formulas.

Will Math U See have them ready for Higher Math without struggles?

Have any of you used Life with Fred, like it but really just was not worth it to have a child spend so much time on one question. Are they really learning even when they conquer the question but took so long that maybe it really is not entering their minds of what they are actually doing and why. If this makes sense.

Please help this stressed out mama on this issue. I wants whats best but also want it not to bog down.

This post was edited on Sep 09, 2010 11:43 PM

re: Anyone Use Life with Fred and then end up going back to your other math?

You know...I like Life of Fred...but....something is lacking, right? I feel it is a great refresher...or something you do over the summer to keep things fresh, and make you think about different ways to approach a problem...I don't know.

I've done MUS. There nothing wrong with it, I guess...but it just didn't work for us. I've done TT, and Horizons before that.

We ultimately have gone back with Chalkdust. Hands down it is the most thorough and well thought out program we've used. Not only does it teach the straight up calculations you were talking about...but it also adds in the Fred-esque critical thinking portion by putting those calculations in real life situations where one would use them. It also brings in different ways of thinking about a problem.

We are sticking with Chalkdust for the long haul. It is rigorous, yet clearly explained. They offer tons of support as well.

jules

I can't say that I've known anyone else to use Life of Fred exclusively as a math program. I don't think it was designed to be used alone.

I really like LOF, but only as a way to enforce or reword a concept that may not be sinking in. The story approach to math is a good one because much of the math we use in real life is situational, like the stories in Fred's life. And sometimes kids get so hung up on formulas and figures in the traditional math textbooks that they don't grasp the big picture.

We're using Saxon Alg.1 and supplementing with LOF (from the library) when something seems a little fuzzy or I think the story approach would reenforce a concept.

Hope MUS works again for you!

Jules:

Okay now you got me thinking another course. lol You are not suppose to do that. My brain is on overload already. lol

How many children do you have, are they close in age?
So is this course set up much like Math U See in watch the video then do the lesson. Do they work in workbooks.

Would you still consider it much like Math U See and not like the traditional text of our school days? That is why I liked Math U See. It was different than just out school texts.

When reading a bit on it just now it talked about like 50 or more questions in it.

What programs of Math U See did you use.

Math is sooo hard as it is such an investment each and every time.

I tend to school along the lines of Charlotte Mason style.

Chalkdust is traditional textbook style. You do watch a lesson on the video..then do problems. You do not assign all the problems...they purposely put lots of problems in the lesson so you have extra ones to draw from if you need them later or to reinforce a concept. I usually assign odds or evens.

So each lesson will have a section A, B, usually C and sometimes a D, then a critical thinking section. So if you watch a lesson on Monday...then do some problems in section A. Then do problems in section B on Tuesday, section C on Wednesday..etc.

I did several sections of MUS...the younger elementary grades, and I did it at the same time as Horizon..using the MUS as more of a supplement... I know we went through division in it..

I only homeschool one child (middle school) at the moment...other two are in college...and I only homeschooled one of them.

HTH

jules

Jules:

What didn't ou like about the Teaching Texts compared to the Chalkdust. Becasue it has videos as well - correct and audio or something.

I personally didn't have a problem with Teaching Textbooks, but my son got to where he hated it. (Started out really liking it...but grew to hate it). The reason was the spiral approach. My son hated that he didn't get to practice the new concepts very much...and didn't like all the review.

Even though that is the point of spiral...he didn't like it. He wanted to be able to master new concepts before moving on. So that is why we switched to Chalkdust. He can master...but still review b/c Chalkdust has a cumulative review at the end of each chapter. Plus of course..each concept kind of builds on the previous concepts anyway.

Chalkdust is more challenging as well. I will say I am liking the Pre-Algebra of Chalkdust better than the basic math. The basic math was REALLY challenging...but at least we have a great foundation. Pre-Algebra reviews alot from basic math...BUT adds a little bit to each concept...so it isn't all review. Liking this.

However...I can't complain about TT...ds got very good scores in math standardized tests after we starting using TT...although I will say we used above grade level. Definately take the placement tests if you use TT...there scope and sequence is different than most other curriculums...so it appears "behind". It is really fine, though...as long as you place appropriately.

If your child likes little increments of new information and reviewing frequently to learn..then TT is a fine choice. Chalkdust is great for a more mastery approach..but still has some built in review.

jules

I'm using life of fred fractions with my 11 year old. We also use Spectrum, 2 minute math drills and calander math with life of Fred. I also purchased a few math card games that we play along with everything else. We're on our third week of Life of fred. I keep asking dd if she thinks she's actualy learning from LoF and she keeps saying yes. She loves it ! I am still on the fence however.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions