Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Ambleside online??? or Simply Charlotte Mason???

Ambleside online??? or Simply Charlotte Mason???

For those of you who have used either of these...How did you use them? Thanks!

This post was edited on Aug 28, 2010 08:35 AM

re: Ambleside online??? or Simply Charlotte Mason???

Both are good but SCM to me has better history titles and the guides help quite a bit. I used both as written and we burned out with AO fast. My daughter(7) was not interested in the titles at all. I think that SCM is a bit more child friendly and if you look at reviews of several AO titles you will find lots of bad reviews(for racism, inaccuracies and such) like This Country of Ours, The story of Mankind.(I won't list them all.)

HTH,

Penny

I am confused a bit my SCM. What exactly do you buy from them? Do they have a guidebook listing the titles to be read and how exactly to go about it? Do they have a book list for older grades such as 4th and 7th grade? Thanks!

Here is the curriculum guide:
http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/scmguide/

Once there, you would click on whatever subject you want to know more details about....say history. That will then open you up to this page:

http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/scmguide/history-modules-overview/

And, then click on those links to get even more detail about what books are recommended for what grades.

There are history guides that you can use that have been written for some of the history modules - I think they are more of a guide that schedule the recommended books out for you. There are samples of all of them if you click on the title on the right hand side of the home page. She has other guides like GOAL Bible Study Journal and Foundations in Romans: A Romans Bible Study.

I would say just spend some time navigating through the website. I really missed out on a lot of what SCM was all about the first few times I went there.

Then, you'd click on whatever module you were interested in doing....that will give you an even more broken down list of resources that are suggested for various grade levels.

Thanks Inhisgrip, I will try those tips you posted.

One more question, how do you know what year to place your children at? I searched on their site to answers to this question but to no avail.

Are you talking about AO or SCM on that last question?

I was wondering about SCM on that last question...

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions