Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Abeka vs. Saxon math

Abeka vs. Saxon math

I am using Abeka math, and have used it for a while. Right now we are in grades 1 and 3. My friend uses Saxon and says it is much easier and moves a bit slower....I am not unhappy with Abeka at all, but it does take time. I spend about 20-30 min per day with each of my children, teaching the lesson. I don't just have my children do the worksheet. I teach the lesson and then they do the speed drill and worksheet. (both sides of one paper is one lesson).

So does Saxon take less time? Is it a good program? Am I spending too much time on math?

re: Abeka vs. Saxon math

" am using Abeka math, and have used it for a while. Right now we are in grades 1 and 3. My friend uses Saxon and says it is much easier and moves a bit slower....I am not unhappy with Abeka at all, but it does take time. I spend about 20-30 min per day with each of my children, teaching the lesson. I don't just have my children do the worksheet. I teach the lesson and then they do the speed drill and worksheet. (both sides of one paper is one lesson).

So does Saxon take less time? Is it a good program? Am I spending too much time on math? "

I have to say that I don't care for the first three levels of Saxon. From Math 54 and up, it is much better than ABeka, IMHO.

Kudos to you for teaching first then having your dc do the seatwork. That is how most publishers expect their materials to be used. Your dc will get much more out of it that way.

Having said that, let me say this: I prefer Rod and Staff Publishers' math texts over ABeka's. You will still teach first, but it will only take about 15 minutes of your time (the lessons are scripted and easy to follow). From 4th grade on the dc will be able to do the work themselves, although the TM does include a scripted oral classtime.

I do 3rd and k-5 in Abeka Math. I have done grades 1-3 in Abeka, and I LOVE Abeka math. I like the way it's laid out, and how it explains so well how to teach each new concept. Now, with that said. My ds did Saxton k-1 in ps, and I had trouble understanding the darn stuff myself. I always thought Saxton was confusing, and just didn't stick with ds. Abeka, as you know has LOTS of review, and reviews some more. We happen to like this a lot!!! My son has learned more from this math program, and learns so quickly. I pick out some problems on his math sheet to do, because they do have so many. (yes it kills me, but ds gets to bogged down otherwise) He seems to do fine. I would personally suggest, staying with Abeka it's a lot more advanced than Saxton. If you think it's taking you to much time, don't do all of the activities, I know I don't. We do add & sub, multi & div, and then we do out speed drill, and might go over some stuff in the TM, but not much. I try to do the oral combo's. (not all just a few) Then he does his worksheet. I am partical to Abeka, so maybe I"m not the best person to ask. lol!! HTH

Michelle

We have used both programs for our kids.We love the Abeka for k-3rd grade.After that it overwhelmed my children.I love Saxon 5/4 & up.I think that Abeka for the younger grades is so strong in teaching the foundations.I think it is stronger than Saxon in its drilling of math facts.On the other hand I think Saxon really encourages deeper thinking .I think that it is also stronger in teaching word problems and how to solve them.Saxon imo is also less teacher intensive.The lesson is for the most part in the student book.You don't need all the extra material that Abeka calls for( at least not in 5/4 & up)

I really like both programs but I cannot say that there is really much of a time difference once you get to the 5/4 level for 4th or 5th grade.They both take a while to do.Also, remember that Abeka has a workbook that the kids write in and the additions of Saxon that I have ,5/4 & up, have to be done on notebook paper( that might not be the case now)That took my kids a while to get used to.They are both great program with their own strengths but I think that they are both as time consuming as the other.

Thanks Michelle. I cross out problems too! Do you do that big addition problem daily? I have been doing that every other day. My son is getting really fast with those. I do some of the oral combos and some flashcards, and the speed drill, and the new concept but I don't do all that is listed. I do like Abeka. There is so much out there, it is hard to choose.

If you're looking to save time, don't switch to Saxon, that's for sure. Saxon takes forever in the early days!!! Abeka is much more succinct, and easier to tweak, as well.

If you really want to save time, you may consider Horizons though. Horizons has a very short and sweet TM and every day you just do two wb pages, review the flashcards, and maybe introduce a new idea and talk about that. I have heard it's a wonderful math program!

We did Saxon K for a while and it took forever and was very difficult to teach. The format is the same through 3rd grade. However 4th and up could be done by themselves if they are good at math, or by using the DIVE CD's. In this way you would use up more of the child's time, but less of your time, freeing you to work with younger dc.

No, we don't do the biiiig problems everyday. My son can't remember than many numbers at a time, so we do it one number at a time. Which they don't recommend. Oh well. lol!! But we skip it some days. I guess I just like Abeka math, and it's worked so well for us that I wouldn't wanna change. HTH... any other questions, please feel free.

Michelle :)

Does it seem like grade 3 Abeka is mostly review? I keep waiting for them to introduce new concepts, and they do, but not often. We are on lesson 64. It just seems like a ton of review..someone had told me that grade 3 Abeka math was hard, but it seems like mostly review, at least so far. I have him do his speed drill, and do some of the oral combos, and some flash cards, and that is about it. Is that enough? He really does not seem to need 30 min of me going over stuff with him, he learns fast and does well on his speed drills and worksheets...

thoughts?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions