Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Got Rod and Staff English in the mail!!!

re: Got Rod and Staff English in the mail!!!

Keep us posted on how it goes.
Michelle32

The recommendation to use R&S's English a year "behind" is for older children--say, 9 and older--who have not already had much grammar instruction. A 7yo or 8yo whose reading and handwriting skills are pretty much at age/grade level should have no problems starting out with Preparing to Build or Beginning Wisely.

Rod and Staff math and english are staples in our house and the best part is DD LOVES them! Hope you enjoy them!!!

***The recommendation to use R&S's English a year "behind" is for older children--say, 9 and older--who have not already had much grammar instruction. A 7yo or 8yo whose reading and handwriting skills are pretty much at age/grade level should have no problems starting out with Preparing to Build or Beginning Wisely.***

I agree. My K and 2nd grader did Preparing to Build last year. It was very easy for both of them. We just started Beginning Wisely, but so far it easy for my 3rd grader and doable for my 1st grader. I let them do some of the exercises orally if they're tiring of writing, but otherwise we're doing it as written.

I've always hear the the older grade levels get difficult but I think if you start with Rod and Staff your dc's will probably be able to be on grade level with it.

Glad you like what you see!
I bought 3rd grade and was gonna use it but then I switched my mind and decided to stay with CLE, so there are no gaps.
I love CLE, cuz it's easy and all in one.
Well, we started this past monday and today on her test, she completely failed it!!! Really bad too!
I'm re-thinking my decision after that.
I'm really wondering if the whole spiral approach is just too much for my child.
I always come back to this thought...."Most children us the mastery approach in public schools, and for good reason".
I have no problem using R&S, it's really good stuff and I will just use R&S spelling with it cuz I have it.
Sigh.....Lots to think about.
Good luck to you guys!
Kris

"Not to hijack, but I have been reading that it's so gentle and people love it, but I have also read it's very rigorous and most use it a year behind???"
---------------------------------------------------------
We are using it "below" grade level for two reasons. First, I lean towards a Charlotte Mason philosophy of starting formal grammar later. And two, because my guys had a hard time conceptualizing the abstract concept of parts of speech. Three out of four boys thus far were about 10 or 11 when it clicked. Actually, the two reasons really go hand-in-hand as CM recognized this herself. Wise woman was she.

Angela :)

We are R & S English fans too!Have always used it since 2nd grade.
This is the one thing I plan to use all the way through High school. I thought it was too difficult at 7th grade but my sons loves the challenge and requested it!
The writing assignments are great, with the heavy emphasis on
grammar. It is excellent!

We're on our second year of R &S English, and I have been pleased. It's not too light, but not too heavy.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions