Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

I found a Hillyer's Geography book at a thrift store and as I was reading it...

re: I found a Hillyer's Geography book at a thrift store and as I was reading it...

I have this book, and we used it in a way similar to what you said. I printed off blank maps and while I read aloud, they filled in features & cities and colored flags, etc. We enjoyed the book.

Since it is an old geography book, some things are outdated. Like he says that SOMEDAY rocket ships MAY take men to the moon.

There are also some ideas conflicting with the creation that are similar to the first chapters in his history book. He says, the world was once "a ball of fire -- a huge burning ball. That was millions of years ago..."

Over all, we did enjoy this book. There were a few things I had to correct as we went along, but I don't really mind that. We also liked his histoy book. If you have used that one and liked it, you will probably like this one, too.

Maybe they don't bring this one back because it IS quite outdated since the boundaries of the world have changed significantly since the original printing, which was 1929.

re: I found a Hillyer's Geography book at a thrift store and as I was reading it...

Yeah, I noticed the big ball of fire thing at the beginning. Like his history book, I just skip over the first part.

And yes it needs some updating. What I like about it is the refreshing way it teaches about geography. It's quaint and I like that. So many geographies are so stuffy!

I agree! I am looking at world geography for high school and BLECK!

This book does make geography much less boring.

If only I could find a publisher for high school that at least TRIES to make it interesting like the Hillyer book does!

<< Maybe they don't bring this one back because it IS quite outdated since the boundaries of the world have changed significantly since the original printing, which was 1929. >>

One thing I really like about books like this is that we can see what countries were called then, how boundaries and names have changed (Was Thailand still called Siam then? etc), and how they have been affected by wars -- which ties in with history.

Since the printing date was 1929, I would think this book would show how WW1 changed countries and boundaries, and that you could see what the world looked like between WW1 and WW2.

Yes, I would skip over his "burning ball" theory, LOL.

Okay, this aroused my curiosity, because I had heard it mentioned on Jeopardy last week, so I looked it up:

"Siam remained an absolute monarchy until 1932, when the king was compelled to accept a constitution, and the country was renamed Thailand in 1939."

:)

"If only I could find a publisher for high school that at least TRIES to make it interesting like the Hillyer book does! "
---------------------------------

How about "A Book of Discovery" by M.B. Synge? I bought it from Yesterday's Classics. It's not exactly "world geography", but it is. It's written in narrative form like Hillyer's and covers the world's most famous explorers. It was originally written in 1912, but has been updated in 2007. It's listed under "Juvenile Nonfiction", but then says it's for ages 14 and up. I have it here waiting for my 9th grader to read it later this fall.

Thanks for taking the time to post about that book, kayrenee. I will DEFINITELY be looking into that!

An audio version for A Book of Discovery is available at librivox :

http://librivox.org/book-of-discovery-a-by-m-b-synge/

Here is the book in pdf format:

http://www.archive.org/details/bookofdiscoveryh00syngrich

---------------------------------

There are 3 books in the set by Hillyer, A Child's History of the World, A Child's History of Art, and A Child's Geography of the World.

I thought they would be in public domain and looked for scans of them online. Maybe they are too new or maybe Calvert bought up or renewed the copyright.

I have a matching set with red covers, copyright 1951. Love them.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions