Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

ABEKA math placement

ABEKA math placement

ABEKA does not offer math placement tests. Have any of you found a substitute math placement test to find the correct level for your student? I have not used ABEKA before, but need to determine my son's level for next year!

re: ABEKA math placement

What grade is he in? Keep in mind Abeka is about 1 grade level ahead of most public schools. I have my boys both in their grade level in math. I would place him/her in their grade unless you think the spiral method would move to fast for them. If I would of stuck with Abeka math for the fall for my youngest, I think I would almost repeated 3rd grade for him. Is that clear as mud? lol!

Michelle

Agreeing with awannamomof2. We use A Beka for Math at grade level but I think it depends on what program your child is coming from and what grade they are. A Beka does have their scope and sequence online but that's not overly helpful because you don't know how deep the topic is covered. For example, if it says fractions, it could be a very very basic introduction that spirals around in the next grade with more explanation. What were you using before?

I looked at their scope and sequence, and knowing what my dss were capable of, I went from there. I'm really glad I looked, because they would not have been able to work at grade level. Although, I was able to work them up to it over a period of time:)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions