Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Pros/Cons of Sonlight for High School?

Pros/Cons of Sonlight for High School?

I'm considering several different publishers for my soon-to-be 11th grade ds. And I've recently added Sonlight to the list (thanks to someone here suggesting it, LOL).

I must say that when I encounter a new curricula, I do so with much trepidation. I have apprehension and reservations in regards to beginning a whole new curriculum - one that I'm not familiar with - at this late stage of the game (high school junior).

So, please, let me pick your brain about Sonlight. Please tell me the positives and negatives of the Sonlight curriculum. Even if you haven't used it personally, but know something about it, tell me what you've heard. I would appreciate any input you have on Sonlight.

Thanks in advance!
~cocoa

re: Pros/Cons of Sonlight for High School?

My best advice is to read Sonlight's own 27 reasons not to buy Sonlight.
Also FWIW when I used all SL I had planned on using it all the way up for High school cores down the line so I was in the Highschool forum there reading and asking question. Boy it was fantastic reading how kids were thriving using it. A nice boost.

Much luck to you.

The owners come from an old-earth creation point of view. I don't know if that is reflected in their teacher's notes and book choices or not or even if that would be an issue for you. At the high school level, I would assume that a lot is done independently? For US, it would be a concern knowing that they have a completely different world view on the origin of man and how that would be reflected in the program.

Just thought you should be informed before taking the expensive plunge. :)

Nancy

Nancy,

Will you elaborate on SL's view of old earth and the origin of man, please. I am considering SL for science and would love to hear more about this.

ncmom2boys

Will you elaborate on SL's view of old earth and the origin of man, please. I am considering SL for science and would love to hear more about this.
---------------

I believe you can find an article or two about this at their website. I'd have to search for it myself. We have never been Sonlight users, with the exception of trying out their K5 Science years ago, in which their TM had an article explaining their old-earth science position. We've not touched Sonlight since.

Nancy

Here is the link from their website:

http://www.sonlight.com/young_or_old_earth.html

I have used 4 cores of Sonlight in the past and I drool each year I get the catalog but found that it doesn't work best for us. Basically, I discovered that I love the readers but not so much the rest of it. I would not have traded anything for the early cores we used with it though. We totally enjoyed them in the younger years. I'm trying to figure out now what I'll use from 7th-12th grades and am at a loss!

Sonlight can be done completely secular. In fact this is why many homeschoolers choose SL. There is no Bible integrated into the IG's.

There is a yahoo group called "Sonlight Secular" if you are interested. One reason I like SL is because it does not shove the Bible down your throat

One thing that concerns me a little, is that the upper level IG's, which are designed to be used independently, look like they are written by John Holzmann himself, with his commentary and opinion and views throughout. This is fine - as long as I agree with everything he writes in there. I know just from reading the samples on the website there were a couple of areas that I disagreed with him on commentary just in the few pages posted there.

We are considering Sonlight for high school also, but I will be ordering the IG first to read it completely through before I make my decision.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions