Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Can you count classes taken in "8th grade" for high school credit?

Can you count classes taken in "8th grade" for high school credit?

Here's why I ask. My dd will be starting 7th grade next year and I'm looking ahead. She's good at Math but does not like it at all. She excels in other areas where her interests lie.
She's ready for Pre-Algebra, but if we do that in 7th, that means Alg. 1 in 8th. If I can't count it if it's taken in 8th grade, then she'll need to take 3 more years in HS. (plus a Math for Personal Finance class, I will make my kids take)...I hate to make her do Trig. or pre-Calculus to get that 3rd credit. It doesn't seem right that you can take Alg. 1, Alg. 2 and Geom. and be done if you start in grade 9, but if you start earlier you have to take the upper level Maths. Should I just hold her back and find a grade 7 math for next year instead of Pre-Alg?
Any thoughts? I'm just starting to look ahead to high school.

This post was edited on Mar 18, 2010 04:48 PM

re: Can you count classes taken in "8th grade" for high school credit?

Some people say yes, some people say no. I looked into what our state says for public schools, and Illinois says yes. Starting with Algebra 1, math taken in 7th or 8th grade can be counted, but if it is counted in the credits, the grade must be counted in the grade point average. That's public schools, but it gives me something to "back up doing" it myself.

Hi: I have this same dilemma too - not for math but for history and electives. My son is working at a high school level in all subjects except for English and math. I have decided to skip 8th grade for next year and enroll him in 9th grade with our CRS. That way, the classes that he can take at high school level will count for credit, but I can keep him at an appropriate level for math and English. When I talked to other friends about my idea, they don't think this is such a good thing to do, but I think it will work out fine. We did his 4-year high school plan, and he will finish high school in 4-1/2 years this way. He is pretty excited about starting high school (especially when seeing that he will take Drivers Ed).

I would call HSLDA and ask their opinion. The rule for this can vary from state to state, and it may also depend on the college that your child will go to (assuming they go to college) and how it looks on the transcript.

In our state, you can count work done in 8th grade AS LONG AS it's truly high school level work and they do enough of the work to actually count as a h.s. credit. A full year of Algebra 1 would definitely count for us.

If a child takes an AP class in 8th grade in regular school, doesn't it count for credit? What's wrong with just beginning the 9th grade transcript and putting it on there as if she's working ahead, since it's for credit anyway? There's no reason why someone who did the work in 9th grade should be able to get credit and someone who did it in 8th grade - the same work -shouldn't be able to get credit.

It's not deceptive to just start the transcript early. It's not lying - she will have done the work. What difference does it make WHEN it was done? If this were the case, gifted kids would sure be in trouble.

My daughter will also be taking Algebra 1 in 8th grade. So, I'm interested to know other opinions about this.

I hate grades.

I know Alg I counts in 7th or 8th. Alg I is a high school course. Usually hs foreign language counts in 7th and 8th too. The ps here offer these classes in a computer class covering ms office/powerpoint/excel for 1 credit.

My dd did this.. She took Algebra in 8th, algebra 2 in 9th, geometry in 10th (and part of 11th) and consumer math also this year.. She is doing statistics for her senior year next year... She has all her math credits but did not do upper level math (she is good at math but really doesn't like it )

Debi

I know this is one where opinions differ but I read this http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000019.asp and from this if it is high school level we are counting it for high school. I have one that is ahead and working hard on the assumption things will count. So we are counting it as long as it is the same thing she would be taking in high school (meaning the exact same high school level course. I suppose it may depend on where you apply but this is how we are doing it and I am basing it on what I read in the article above specifically point 1 and 2 under preparing transcripts. HTH : )

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions