Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Beestar.org Free Math

Beestar.org Free Math

Has anyone used www.beestar.org for math/reading? How do you like it. I'm thinking about giving it a try. Thanks for sharing.

re: Beestar.org Free Math

I am using it with my 6yo (1st grade). We love it ! They send email every week , with a reminder at the end of the week. So we don't forget about it :-)

The math is a lot like Singapore . It has many thinking skills and the word problems are great . I would say it's even harder than Singapore. We just finished 1B and my son thought it was easy , but he never gets more than 70-80% in beestar. I like the challenge . The best -- it's free ! Also , great addition to any math program , especially if you use one that lacks word problems and has rote memorization like Abeka, Horizons and CLE .

This post was edited on Feb 28, 2010 09:39 PM

Thanks, Graceonly.

We now use MUS, they have free online drill, but no word problem. I'm glad we can use Beestar as addition.

You mention Singapore, does it have plenty word problems?

Thanks again.

Singapore does not have enough of anything unless you use Challenging Word Problems , Intensive Practice and/or Extra Practice or other math curriculum as a supplement .

We tried Beestar at first and at that time the free math questions were still too hard for my 6-year-old son. I let him used IXL then. But he refused to use it after 3 weeks because of the poor point rule. Then I let him try Beestar again when he was 7. Surprisingly he produced strong interest in math. I didn't want him to get too much after school tutoring, so I let him joined the $20/semester membership program to get more resources such as science and reading. He is now the top student of school.

My son really likes Beestar. I find it very helpful to monitor my son's understanding of new math principals after I have taught them to him. He does the Beestar exercises alone and after I get the report we go back over anything he missed. He works really hard and takes pride in working to be on the weekly honor role! We have done math so far but are going to enroll in science and social studies for the spring 2018 semester in two weeks.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions