Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Missyr..about LLATL again

Missyr..about LLATL again

You know, I really had a chance to sit down and read LLATL TE for the green level. I have to say, I am a little impressed. There are some things that are a little easy for my daughter(Such as the spelling words), but I think the book studies, research, dictation and grammar are really good.

I am still thinking of going with MCT, but I am rethinking LLATL.

How many levels have you used of LLATL, and have you used any upper levels, from green up?

I can't remember, but do use Wordsmith? I know you said you used Winston Grammar. Do you use another spelling/vocab program?

re: Missyr..about LLATL again

Wonderwoman,
We've used Blue, Red, Yellow, Orange, Purple, tan, green and Gray (not all for the same child, mind you, we didn't find it for my oldest until tan.

I am supplementing With Winston as you said and we use Sequential Spelling. My oldest does Apples on her own. The younger two will also use Apples at the appropriate age.

My tentative plan is to use Wordsmith next year, Winston advanced in 10th and Craftsman in 11th/12th? I am unsure what else we'll do in 11th or 12th with my dd, as she'll be done with the gold levels then. My son who is following her will not be finish with gold levels until 11th grade.

Hope I answered all your questions.

I was just looking ahead in our gray level to plan out the last 13 weeks of 8th grade and the writting "unit" coming up looks intense. I'm going to have to lighten my dd's load for those couple of weeks as she tends to "loose herself" in writting assignments, taking lots of time to develop plots/characters ect.

Just wanted to note that I'm using these resources on my own timeline, most of them are suggested earlier than I use them, but I generally swim upstream, if you know what I mean?

Hi Missy

Thank you for all of your help. I have more questions(Sorry!)

1. Do you mean Wordsmith Apprentice, then Wordsmith, then Wordsmith Craftsmen? Which level of Wordsmith do I use with Gr 7? It looks like there is a lot of writing instruction in LLATL Green in itself. So is it necessary?

2. In the student book, I am assuming it is identical in layout to the TM. It looks like the lessons should be done in a seperate notebook. Do you have your dc write in the student books at all?

If you do notebooks, how do you set them up?

3. For dictation, does your dc study the passage first, and if so, how long do you let them study for?

4. For the book studies, is there a certain edition I need to get for these books?

I had a chance to read the whole teacher manual, and I have to say, I am quite impressed. The dictation from the lit is reall challenging, and the writing and grammar is great.

Now, I am going to sit down with dd and see what she thinks.
She really likes MCT for language arts from what she has seen, and it is an all in one program, but way more expensive.

Thank you so much!

1. Do you mean Wordsmith Apprentice, then Wordsmith, then Wordsmith Craftsmen? Which level of Wordsmith do I use with Gr 7? It looks like there is a lot of writing instruction in LLATL Green in itself. So is it necessary?

I was going to start with Wordsmith, which is for grades 7-9. Craftsman is suggested for Grades 10 and up. No I really don't think they are necessary.I like the instruction in LLATL for writing. I think we could just do it and not add anything to it and be FINE! My goal is to try to use them loosely, to cement foundations we've built with LLATL. It also depends on if we'll do Community college in 11th and 12th or stay home. If we stay home, we'll use Wordsmith Craftsman, which is why I'd like to give Wordsmith a swing, just as a prep for Craftsman, though I don't think it's necessary it would just be lagniappe. If we start either wordsmith program and it seems redundant then we'll lay it aside.

2. In the student book, I am assuming it is identical in layout to the TM. It looks like the lessons should be done in a seperate notebook. Do you have your dc write in the student books at all?

By Green, MOST of the lesson is right in the student guide, I don't remember if it is exactly the same info in the TE and student for green or if there is a small amount of information in the TE that is NOT in the student book. The way LLATL TEs work is that starting at the beginning with Blue, the TE is VERY much needed. They start to wean from the TE as the levels progress, meaning that in Blue almost all the information is in the TE, but by Gray, it's all right in the Student book as well. For example, my son is in purple this year and there may be one or two sentences that are in the TE that are NOT in the student book. I like having TE's even for the older grades, for the answers when I need them quickly OR so I can read along with my dd when she needs added help on a concept, and I don't have to look over her shoulder. My kids write directly in the Student book, except for some of the writing assignments. For those that need extra room, or rough drafts and final copies we use loose leaf paper. At the beginning of the year, I take the Student books to the printer and have the binding cut and put them in a 3 ring binder, so the loose leaf paper will go right into the binder where the lesson is. Works beautifully.

3. For dictation, does your dc study the passage first, and if so, how long do you let them study for? The guide most times have the student read the passage either silently or out loud to you, then do the dictation. We don't really study it, but what I do is when they check it for corrections (as instructed in the student book) I have them use a red correction pencil so I can SEE what corrections they had to make. Gives me a headsup as to what we need to stress on review day or what we might need to supplement on.

4. For the book studies, is there a certain edition I need to get for these books? I've always just gotten the bundle from Rainbow and it's worked great. The Studies will have the kids look up vocab words on certain pages and decide what the word means by context clues, ect. I've had books that the page didn't match exactly but it wasn't an issue we were always able to find the words easily.

Hope that helps, and please feel at your leisure to ask as many questions as necessary to gain the information that you need. I'm glad to help.

Missy

THANK YOU!! You have been such a great help, those answers are exactly what I was looking for.

just a few more questions and hopefully I will be done...LOL

1. In looking in my TE, I see that it does teach "some" literary terms. I have looked ahead at the older grades, and I do not see some listed, such as foreshadowing etc....do you think they teach enough literary terms? Or should a get a seperate book for that?

2. Is the high school books meant for 9th and 10th grade, or 11th and 12th grade? Not sure what to do with a 2 year gap. Do you know what Common Sense Press recommends?

The more I look at this, the more I really like it. I just have to sit with my dd and see what she thinks.

Oh, and great idea to take off the binidn and three hole punch it .!

Again, many thanks.

bump for missyr

1. In looking in my TE, I see that it does teach "some" literary terms. I have looked ahead at the older grades, and I do not see some listed, such as foreshadowing etc....do you think they teach enough literary terms? Or should a get a seperate book for that?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's so hard for me to answer that. For ME it is enough, but if it's important to you that your dd really learns the terminology, then maybe you should get something else to reinforce that OR just see as they come up and reinforce them yourself as you discuss what she's working on. One thing my dd has complained about with LLATL is that terminology doesn't tend to be something that jumps out and grabs you...so that should give you some indication of how that is handled.

2. Is the high school books meant for 9th and 10th grade, or 11th and 12th grade? Not sure what to do with a 2 year gap. Do you know what Common Sense Press recommends?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can use the two high school levels however you wish. They are appropriate for grades 9th through 12th. I really don't know the recommendation for the other 2 years of highschool. Veteran LLATL users that I've discussed this with have ALL done something different, based on the needs for their family/child and the direction the child will go. I think some work on Term papers and Essay writing would be very appropriate to fill some of that time. We'll probably do another lit study, some creative writing as well and then another round of grammar to reinforce concepts. This summer is my time to really spend in prayer and consideration for those high school years, but I'm open to allowing my dd to work within our state's graduation guidelines and choose resources that fill her with a love of learning for those last two years. The most important thing for US will be that she is doing something that SHE can own. So many highschool seniors I talk to have no desire to learn anything, just a desire to GET.OUT.OF.SCHOOL. I think her having the ability to tailor those last two year to fit her personality, passions and desires will go a long way to erradicating this phenomenon in her life. Maybe it won't but I'm gonna give it my best shot! (sorry that got so long, but I don't know how else to answer this without sharing my HEART! ya know?)

The more I look at this, the more I really like it.
This was my experience wiht LLATL in the beginning. and now, the more I use it the more sold on it I am.

Good luck and happy homeschooling.

This post was edited on Feb 28, 2010 01:33 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions