Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Primary Language Lesson by Emma Serl..questions

Primary Language Lesson by Emma Serl..questions

Do you find this to be a complete enough book for language arts? As far a English, grammar, etc.
And is it difficult to implement. I need a little instruction and it seems like these older books don't have a lot of instruction.

I'm thinking of using this for ds next year, he'll be a 2nd grader.

Or would it just be easier to use an English program such as CLE or R & S.

I need basic, simple but gets the job done.

re: Primary Language Lesson by Emma Serl..questions

For *me* this is easier to use. Only ONE book, open and go, to the point, and effective. Plus you get two years worth out of it for $12.

I will give you an example of how the lessons differ from the average run of the mill grammar program:

On thing is the focus is not on terms (noun, verb, etc), but on usage and application.
Another is it causes the child to think a bit more than if xyz curriculum says this is a noun....underline them.

Here is Lesson 58 on page 48. It is on comma usage.

A horse can run and trot and gallop and walk.
A horse can run, trot, gallop and walk.

How many times is *and* used in the first sentence?
How many times is *and* used in the second sentence?
Where are commas used in the second sentence?
Do not use *and* more than once in any one sentence of the following:
1) Write a sentence telling three things a bird can do.
etc.

These types of lessons makes a child think about how the comma is used. The same thing is done with parts of speech.

And for me the inclusion of great poems to be memorized, copy work, and fabulous art work used in picture studies makes this irresistible. Not to mention the cuddle effect. :)

This is one book I truly look forward to using.

Thanks that is helpful info.

Oh yes, almost forgot:

Terms are covered more in Intermediate Language Lessons.

There are TEs for both of these books if you feel the need for them. They do hold your hand better, from what I have seen, and give answers.

This post was edited on Feb 27, 2010 01:52 PM

We are using intermediate Language Lessons and love it! I do use the TM. Most days I don't need it but sometimes it will give a website or additional activity to do with the lesson.

I love the poems and picture study that is included in some of the lessons.

blondie

I use PLL as a supplement as I also use Rod and Staff English for my 2nd grader. MWF suggests using PLL only so they obviously think it's sufficient. It probably is but I tend to overdo things!

we use it by itself. we love it. so quick, to the point, no fluff or unnecessary busy work. Every lesson has a purpose, and it gets right to it.

Well I didn't like this!! I need instructions and I just don't feel like the kids were getting it... I don't know... Maybe I just over analyze! I am using R&S english and I like it much better! It tells the kids WHY you do this and why you do that, what this means!! I like that!

don't mean to be the black sheep! Didn't read all posts, so I'm hoping I'm not!!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions