Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Apologia Physical Science woes

Apologia Physical Science woes

Oh, friends. It was not a good thing yesterday - my daughter scored a 69 on another Apologia Physical Science module test. This is not the first time.

Now, we're doing this as a replacement for Abeka Physical Science, which is what Seton Home Study uses for grade 9 science. In order for her to get credit, we have to submit test scores, lab reports, and so on.

On the Seton grading scale a 69 is an F, folks.

Yes, she studied for this test for a quite a while and felt she was ready for it.

I'm starting to think it was a mistake to let her go with the Apologia. The Seton exams for Abeka are quite long. . .and I think that's a good thing, because there is more chance for success!

My daughter is getting As in all her other subjects - including other subjects that require straight memorization and testing, such as religion, Wordly Wise vocab, etc. What is it about this science that's killing us?

Jen

This post was edited on Jan 27, 2010 09:53 AM

re: Apologia Physical Science woes

Jen, I feel where you are coming from. I wanted to like the Apologia Physical Science & I did like the content. I tried using it with a 6th grader who loves science. It was way too much! I don't think she would have done well with it for 7th grade either. Fortunately, we aren't using a homeschool program that requires any particular curricula so we switched fairly quickly.

I want to foster a love for science. This just didn't accomplish that. Maybe it was just way too early for her. IDK.

Edited to correct: We tired the General Science, not Phy. Science. Sorry. :)

This post was edited on Jan 27, 2010 10:26 AM

I can't imagine trying to have done this text with her in a lower grade.

She even does the notebooking pages from CurrClick as a go-along for this, because we thought it would be helpful.

Jen

OOps, I'm sorry. We tried the General Science in 6th grade. Still, it was too much. Like I said, good content. But the tests were very hard.

I hate to say this but some kids just don't get science. My 16 yo is one of them. She can spot a grammar mistake a mile away and can tell you anything about any historical time period you can imagine but science? Forget it.
We tried Apologia, Abeka, BJU, all failures. ACE boligy has been a hit.

I can understand your woes!

We had the same experiences with the General Science when my science minded 7th grader tried that a couple of years ago. It made her feel like a failure, and she likes science. Thankfully, the "grades" didn't have to count on the record-keeping at that level, and we quickly found ourselves on a quest to find a program that would help build her confidence rather than rip it apart. IMO, she can save that level of challenge and difficulty for upper high school years or college when she has more maturity to handle the rigorous expectations. Sorry, that's probably not much in terms of helping you find solutions to your problem. Perhaps allow for open book tests? Is that allowed?

DD is just about to take her first ACE BIO test, so we'll see how she does. So far, though, she seems to be really enjoying and retaining it, according to her quizzes. It's straightforward and right to the point, yet interesting too. Although, I will say that dd naturally enjoys BIO. Physical science is not as interesting to her, so we'll se how that goes for next year.

Nancy

first, does she do all of the On Your Own and Study Guides? Summaries? Make sure those are done and corrected before she even thinks of taking the tests.

Next, how to you score the tests? Each question all or nothing, or partial credit? Do you expect the vocabulary definitions to be word-perfect? Is she getting the major points of the answer, just not phrasing it they way they do in the answer key, or does she truly NOT know it?

DD14 HATES Science but LOVES Apologia. For grades, I often double the allowed points on each question (say, if it is worth 2 points I make it worth 4) that way I can be more accurate with partial credit. Sometimes when I correct her test I ask her to explain an answer- nearly all of the time she understands it but didn't phrase it "scientifically" enough... words like more or increased, things like that.

Yes, she does do the On Your Own and the Study Guides. I correct them and she goes over them and corrects her incorrect answers. I then correct the corrections. She also had several days worth of science class time to just study for the exam after everything was corrected to 100%.

I don't expect the vocab answers to be verbatim from the text, but when she leaves out a key point from the definition which then creates an unclear definition, I do mark it as incorrect. I don't usually give partial credit for the answer.

Maybe I'm grading too harshly?

I did ask her aloud as I was correcting, "Umm. . .tell me again what the definition of blah-blah is. . ." and listened to her answer to see if I thought she really knew the info or not. A couple of the questions she just flat out didn't know. But the two definitions I think she did understand. . .maybe she could get a partial credit for?

I hate making these grading decisions. Sigh. I'm always afraid of being too soft on them, so in the end I'm probably too hard!
Jen

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions