Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE 4th grade Social Studies-Any opinions/users?

CLE 4th grade Social Studies-Any opinions/users?

I am considering finishing up our year covering modern American History on our own, with using a textbook, some literature, movies, computer games, etc. I just basically want to engage my 12 and 9 year olds into the "story" of it all, while they continue to practice their states and capitals with computer and board games. No tests or quizzes...just taking in the story following a timeline.

As for my 12 yo, he needs more geography skills in a systematic sort of way without overwhileming him with too much info all at once. He also needs lots of review, which is why CLE LA and Math work so well for him. I like the looks of what I see in the samples of CLE's 4th grade world geography course, especially in the LU's, in which there are only 5 (I think?), making it a semseter long (I think?). The scope/sequence reminds me a bit of when we did MFW's ECC years ago, but in a more systematic way. I looks like it will lay a nice foundation of world geography for him. I like that the textbook does not look too overwhelming or crowded with info. SO, before I order this to begin in Jan., does anyone use this or have any thoughts on this plan? For some reason, my 12 yo just really thrives with curriculum that involves little workbooks to chew on, one at a time. He tends to get overwhelmed easily. Also, it is something that he can do somewhat independently, which he also likes.

Please do NOT recommend that I do MFW's ECC. We already own this, have used it, and up until this year, he thought Germany was in America. (Ugh!) ...OK, he was only in 2nd grade when we did it, but still! He needs something more systematic, to the point, and with lots of review.

Nancy

re: CLE 4th grade Social Studies-Any opinions/users?

I like the looks of what I see in the samples of CLE's 4th grade world geography course, especially in the LU's, in which there are only 5 (I think?), making it a semseter long (I think?).

There are only 5 lightunits, but each lightunit contains 2 units, so it's still a full-year course. *I personally* like R&S's 4th grade better, but since you are after workbooks and systematic review, CLE will probably be a better fit for you.

Thanks for responding Keniki.

We already have the R&S one, but I think THAT one may be too simplistic for him, but I'll take a closer look at it. The CLE LU's seemed to be a little bit more of a challenge from what I saw of the samples (Quite challenging, actually).

Do you know how many lessons are in each of those 2 sections per LU? I also like how the LU tells him exactly what to read and when to read it, then gives him "stuff" to do with the info. Maybe I'll use the R&S one with my 3rd grader, having the 12 yo read some of the stories just for fun that complement his CLE. Can you tell me why, specifically, you like the R&S book better? Just curious. Thanks.

Nancy

We already have the R&S one, but I think THAT one may be too simplistic for him, but I'll take a closer look at it. The CLE LU's seemed to be a little bit more of a challenge from what I saw of the samples (Quite challenging, actually).

Do you know how many lessons are in each of those 2 sections per LU? I also like how the LU tells him exactly what to read and when to read it, then gives him "stuff" to do with the info.

Yes, CLE's is quite a bit more challenging. For a 12 yo this would be good. (I used R&S's with an advanced 3rd grader, so quite a difference in age.) There must have been 17 lessons per unit (including the test) because I do remember it was set up for 170 lessons. It should work very well for him to do independently.

HTH :o)

We have the 4th grade "Into All The World" CLE curriculum and my 4th grade dc is using it. It will take a whole year though. Each LU is like having two LU's in one. So there are actually 10 units altogether. The first unit of the textbook is sort of "sciency" where it contains lessons on climate, natural resources, farming/soil, the ocean, and so on. However, the rest of the book does feed off of this. It talks about other countries and their cultures, land forms, weather, people. It's more social studies with some geography as well. My ds has actually learned a lot this year about other people and geography, even though geography is not a huge percent of this curriculum. I guess I'm comparing it to ABeka in that respect as that is the only other curriculum I'm used to and have used. ABeka has a lot of geography. Anyway, I believe your ds can definitely do this independently. There is some map work (you would have to get their maps, use another map resource like "Uncle Josh's Outline Map Book", or free maps online). I have found myself going to my ABeka textbooks for clarity when map work comes up as this is a tiny bit of a weak spot with this curriculum, (just my personal opinion). Also, there are some sections of the textbook that are not included in the LU's. The teacher's guidebook explains this clearly, and I just take the time to include the omitted sections as they are interesting and my ds doesn't want to miss these parts. This curriculum (LU's and teacher's guide) are super easy to follow. I hope I have helped some.

One more thing...about the sections of the textbook that are omitted in the LU's...the teaacher's guide has worksheets for these sections if you want to cover these areas. They resemble the LU pages exactly. You just have to photocopy them for use.

This post was edited on Dec 04, 2009 03:05 PM

We are using it for a 5th and 7th grader and we love it. I feel like it really covers the important stuff, but it's not overwhelming. My boys are learning alot from it. It has a map pack with it that is really good also. The textbook is interesting, and not boring at all! It starts out by telling the reader to imagine they are a spaceman returning to Earth, and it describes what they would see.
I HIGHLY recommend it!!!!

Thank you ladies! That helps a lot!

The website says there are map reproducables in the TM. Is the map packet different from this?

All of those things you mentioned that it has, besides geography, is exactly why I like it. Like I said before, it reminds me a lot of MFW ECC, but more systematic.

One more question: Does it get into any teachings of history content in those countries at all? Missionaries? A Mennonite perspective on things? ...OK, that's more than one question. :)

Thanks for all of your feedback.

Nancy

Hi again...

Yes, the teacher's guide has all the maps inside to reproduce. I forgot to mention that part. I initially bought the map packet with the textbook, because I was going to do this class without the LU's. Then I changed my mind and bought the LU's and the teacher's guide. So that's why I have extra maps. You do not have to buy the map packet if you get the teacher's guide.

There is history in the text as well as everything else mentioned. For example, right now we are in the unit on Russia. It starts off describing the country and geographical specifics. It goes on to talk about the land (rivers, mountains, flatlands, etc.), then climate/weather. They discuss some history in general, such as who Mongols were and the Golden Horde, czars, and serfs. I guess it's not deep history. I can only describe it as light history. Such as discussing communism, what effect it had on the people, when they took over, when it ended, but not specific incidents or leaders, etc. I'm trying so hard to explain, and hope I'm making sense. When my older ds was in 4th grade history, he was studying more specifically names and events. CLE 4th seems to be a bit lighter in that area.

It does refer to the Bible throughout and it blends in very nicely with their lessons. I love this part. They use scripture to make their point.

We did have a story about the missionaries to the Aucas, but it didn't give their names.

This curriculum has been enjoyable for my ds and he is learning and retaining a lot from it. It is extremely teacher friendly too!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions