Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade--DVD Curriculum?

Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade--DVD Curriculum?

Wondering if anyone has seen or used this? http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=30707X&event=CFN

I wanted to know if it is good and teaches techniques and general knowledge rather than a bunch of art projects. Also wanted to know if you can get by with one set for few kids and just have them work out of a notebook using the original as a master? Or if you know which units are key that they have their own manual?

Thanks!

re: Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade--DVD Curriculum?

I'm not sure how much help I'll be, because our new Drawing Basics kit just arrived today, and I've only had a few minutes to look at it, but I'm very pleasantly surprised that it's much nicer than I'd expected.

For some reason, I was expecting small 5x8" sized workbooks and a relatively short teacher's manual... I was WRONG! The teacher's manual is quite thick, and looks pretty detailed, and the childrens' workbooks are 8.5 x 11" in size and look very user-friendly.

From what I can tell, this set seems to be very technique-oriented, and each new lesson builds upon the previous lessons. I haven't watched any of the DVD lessons yet, but I've heard that Thomas Kinkade is very personable and a good instructor, and the assignments in the workbooks look worthwhile, yet it appears that they are very do-able, even for a child that isn't particularly "talented" or experienced in drawing and art.

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect when I ordered the set, but I'm already pleased with my purchase. It's not some little, wimpy art set -- it looks like a complete course, with quality workbooks and a comprehensive teacher's manual.

I hope others who have already used the set will post their comments for you. I wasn't going to post, because we just got the set, but my cursory review of the materials was very positive, and I really think my ds will enjoy the course, so I thought I'd let you know that. I'm very happy that it's a step-by-step approach, rather than a bunch of unrelated little art projects.

Cat

Oh that helps a lot actually thank you. Can I ask if you would just look at it a second and see if you think you can use the student part by filling the answers and doing the drawings in a binder? I am trying to see if every child will really need their own student book or if we can all work out of one as a group. I will be using it with 4 kids this year and 2 in about 2 years. What do you think? Do I need to get each student all the student manual units?

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it!

I have the dvd program with an additional set of workbooks that I just purchased. I decided to go another route.
I would sell them for $40ppd.

Jankesrus @ bellsouth . net

Hi again!

I just looked through the workbooks, and I think you can get by with just one set if you're doing the class as a "fun" subject and not as a "serious class," if that makes any sense.

I'll try to explain...

It would be very easy to do all of the drawings on separate paper, and the written informational material could be read aloud (if Thomas Kinkade doesn't cover it all on the DVD -- I'm not sure, because I haven't watched the DVD yet.)

The potential problem would be that the workbooks contain question and answer sections, where the child fills in the blanks, completes a little puzzle, or otherwise answers questions about the lesson. There are also little self-tests at the end of each chapter, and a regular test at the end of each workbook. If you're not that concerned that each child do all of the written work and complete the tests, you could easily do them aloud, with you reading the questions and the kids calling out the answers. I suppose you could also read the questions and each child could write out the answers, but in some cases, that could get pretty tedious, and probably make the class more of a chore than a fun thing to do.

Personally, I would order one set and see what you think. If you are mainly looking at the course as a fun way for your kids to learn some drawing skills, and aren't going to go crazy about whether or not they know every last technical term or how they score on the tests, I don't think sharing will be a problem. (I'm assuming that more than one child will be taking the class at the exact same time -- watching the DVD together and doing the projects at the same time -- otherwise, you could sit down with each child and do the workbook pages aloud, including the tests, and then use separate paper for the drawing assignments, and then sharing would definitely not be a problem.)

Basically, it's easier to have the workbooks for each child, because they're cute and because it's a bit more convenient, but if the workbooks are expensive, I think it's very possible for the kids to share one set.

I hope I didn't just confuse you even more than before! Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions, and I'll be glad to answer. If you have questions about the DVD lessons, just let me know and I'll preview it for you.

Cat

It's me again!

I just checked Christianbook.com, and they have sample pages from each of the workbooks that you can view online. Just do a quick search for "Drawing Basics" and you'll see the listings for each of the individual workbooks, and when you click on them, you'll be able to click to see sample pages.

One other thing I just remembered -- AOP.com will probably be running their annual 20%-off sale next month, so be sure to compare prices before you order. I have seen some sets sell for pretty reasonable prices on eBay, too, but I never remembered to bid on them -- and you have to watch eBay because many of the auctions include workbooks that have already been used! (Honestly! A while back, I emailed a seller who had the set for a really reasonable Buy It Now price, and the listing said the auction included the DVD, parent manual, and all of the workbooks. I'm so glad I emailed her with a few questions, because it turned out that all of the workbooks had been completely used! Needless to say, I skipped that auction...)

Cat

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions