Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Can you compare Apologia Science (7-12 gr.) with Bob Jones upper Science (with Homesat)?

Can you compare Apologia Science (7-12 gr.) with Bob Jones upper Science (with Homesat)?

Hi,

We have Bob Jones science on DVDs for the elementary grades and my children enjoy them. I won't be able to record 7-12 grades because BJ is doing away with Homesat and we can't afford to rent the DVDs for 6 children. I'm looking at Apologia science for upper grades and was wondering how that is? If you have used both, which do you prefer?

I may be able to buy the BJ DVDs from a diff. company, but that is expensive, too, but better than renting. I need to make a decision soon!

Thanks!

re: Can you compare Apologia Science (7-12 gr.) with Bob Jones upper Science (with Homesat)?

Anyone? Anyone?

re: Can you compare Apologia Science (7-12 gr.) with Bob Jones upper Science (with Homesat)?

Wow, can I just say I'm sorry BJU is taking this route. What are they thinking? Aren't they going to lose a ton of customers?

I can't compare Apologia to BJU. I can only share that I am taking the Apologia route and we're very excited about it. I have read several reviews which say that BJU science at the upper levels is difficult to teach at home w/out Homesat. Apologia, on the other hand, is geared toward independent learning.

I hope that someone who has used both will chime in with their experience.
Jen

This year - I taught Chemistry Lab at co-op - the families wanted to use Apologia's textbook, fine, no problem.

Well, that said - I am looking forward to selling the Apologia text book (if you wait until June - you can buy my book - I can throw in the solutions manual too - plus I know lots of other families selling their books) as soon as co-op is over - the experiments are lame (at best), juvenile (at worst). Truthfully, my 10 year old could handle the experiments (let's look at oil and water, again!). In terms of the writing style - it can best be described as "conversational". A term will be introduced, then the author goes on some tangent, which may remotely relate, and three pages later, finally explains the term.

Yesterday, I was visiting a friend (who also has taught science) and she was showing me the BJ 7th grade life science. She was throroughly delighted with it because "it used real experiments" with "real science terms". I will probably use the BJ Science - but that said, I have two degrees in Chemistry and have taught Physics (high school level), my dh also is a scientist - so I feel very comfortable with science.

I think Apologia's true genius is in the marketing as opposed to the science - but I know many here are delighted with them.

I have not used either of these yet, and have never compared the two, but I wondered if you have looked at DIVE science. This is the same people who do the DIVE for Saxon, and they *recommend* BJU, Apologia, and Abeka to go along with DIVE. I know this isn't the same as BJU DVD's, but since you are happy with BJU otherwise, maybe this would be worth looking at.

http://www.diveintomath.com/pageDisplay.cfm?pageno=238ans&zpid=447&sesstime=now

HTH :o)

We are doing Apologia this year (physical science) and it is just not working for my son. Not sure what I might do as this is supposed to be a high school credit (may just call it a wash and start over next year). I know BJU is giving up on the Homesat but don't get discouraged as I believe they are trying to work something out to do things via the computer which still might be cost effective. After I purchased the DVD program for Spanish they called me to try out a pilot program for the computer course but since it was laid out differently I passed on the offer but only because I had already spent the money on the DVD program. At any rate, don't jump ship too soon just yet - options may be coming. I, too, am also interested in the DIVE option as my son needs a teacher and since I'm teaching 3 other kids this isn't always an option. I am finding that science is the hard credit to fill because of the lab requiement but after talking to many parents and students in my area (northern Virginia) I've found out that even kids in AP Biology aren't doing the labs - they either watch one or watch the teacher! So I wanted to try BJU but not worry so much about the labs - doing some manageable ones and being able to write up the experiment at a minimum (I was hesitant at first to give BJU a try because of the experiment issue). Another option for high school is to wait until they can be dual-enrolled in a community college and gain the science credit that way?
Just some rambles.
Heidi

You do know you can rent just the science DVDs from BJU. In the upper grades you can just do certain subjects if you want. Don't know if that Helps.

We are "got to have DVD" people over here too, and I wanted to throw out another couple of options your way...

A Beka has a separate lab demo DVD that you can purchase to go along with all of their upper Sci. programs. We just got the one for the Physical Science (ebay), and it looks wonderful. We played it the other day just to see how it works, and basically you just click on the lab you want to watch, and the teacher totally walks the student through doing that lab, demonstrating every aspect of it step by step, up close when necessary. I really think this will be a great help to us for next year. Even my younger kids were intrigued with it as I was checking it out.

Another option we are considering for BIO and CHEM is to use A.C.E.'s Paces with the DVDs that go with them. I recommend you read Cathy Duffy's reviews about these...they are very good.

With both of these options, you get to keep what you purchase to use later. No fees, no hassles, straight forward, gets the job done, Christitan worldview...so you can give your attention to those younger children. (I'm in the same boat over here :)

FWIW, we tried and did NOT like Apologia for Science AT ALL. It was only General Science, but still. We need pictures/color! Too much of that "conversational stuff" if you ask me. Also, I inquired a bit about the DIVE Science DVDs recently, and it doesn't sound to me like the labs are actually demonstrated...you're child still needs to do them on his/her own. I could be wrong on that, but that's what it sounded like to me when they responded to my inquiries. HTH a bit.

Nancy

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions