Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Glimpse- Winterpromise Vertical Phonics

Glimpse- Winterpromise Vertical Phonics

I saw in a previous post that you purchased the Winterpromise phonics program. I was just wondering what you thought of this program. I purchased the TATRAS program and really like the vertical phonics approach and was just curious how Winterpromise looked.

Thanks!
Carrie

re: Glimpse- Winterpromise Vertical Phonics

I'm not Glimpse, so I hope you donn't mind me adding some thoughts. Winterpromise uses different publications for their language arts--I don't know what age your child /children are. but for my 7 yr. old he is using Explode the Code, Wordly Wise, And a scholastic grammer workbook. I like their l.a., but I'm not sure if that answers your question??

Terrid- Nope, don't mind at all. Thanks for your input!

I am curious about this myself. I am considering WP language arts because I read that it uses a vertical phonics approach, but I guess I don't understand which parts of the program make it vertical phonics?
katieM

What in the world is vertical phonics ?

Vertical Phonics means that when a beginning or remedial reader is being introduced to the sounds of a phonogram (a letter or letter combination), he is taught all the sounds of that phonogram at one time.

In "Horizontal Phonics," the method most often used by public and private schools, students are initially taught only one sound for each phonogram.

Tracy, you can find more detailed info here with a diagram too.

http://www.verticalphonics.com/vertphon.htm

Katie- I'm not sure how Winterpromise incorporates vertical phonics either so I'm really hoping someone who has the program can help us out.

Tracy- It looks like Maria did a good job of explainig vertical phonics. A quick example would be that the phonogram "a" has 3 sounds like in "cat", "ate", "all". The phonogram "ea" has 3 sounds like in "beat", "bread", "steak".

HTH

Has anyone been to winterpromise website to check this out? It says it uses phonetic cards to teach vertically and then there's a sample worksheet at the bottom of the page that also reinforces this.

http://www.winterpromise.com/index.cfm

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions