Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Abeka vs Bob Jones

Abeka vs Bob Jones

Okay, so both of these interest me, and they both seem like they will work. Our DS will be K when we begin HSing in Aug of '08. So, why would you choose one (Abeka or Bob Jones) over the other?
I've read here that BJU requires more from the teacher, but since I'm a former public school teacher, I'm used to making lesson plans and all. So, tell me why I'd choose one over the other.
TIA

re: Abeka vs Bob Jones

Well, I think Kindergarten *should* require teacher involvement, so that wouldn't be much of a deciding factor for me. I sit next to my 5 yo ds for our entire school lessons (which are short and we only do reading, handwriting and math, as some days he has the attention span of a gnat).
I don't think k requires a full-blown program, and that just focusing on the 3 R's and reading lots of library books aloud is plenty. We have always used BJU in the early grades and it's been fine.

I used K5 Beginnings last year and loved it...using 1st grade (and 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th) this year. With my 4 older children, I used Christian Liberty Phonics and Abeka readers. I found BJUP to be a wonderful curriculum. We enjoyed all of the themes and additional activities, including hands-on and "active" activities. We slacked off toward the end of the year, but my son particularly liked having a "snack of the week" that corresponded to the theme.

I spent between an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half with my son for all of his K5 materials except Bible. I could have spent more time, but that's all the time I had with 4 older children!! He was reading well by the end of Kindergarten like my other children, but had enjoyed it much more than they had. I loved that art ideas, social studies, science concepts, etc. in addition to phonics and reading, were all rolled up into one package that was systematic and all laid out for me, and that all of the learning was correlated together.

We also loved the K5 3rd Edition Math and have continued with the 1st grade math. It was just the right pace.

My only caution...there is no way to do every single activity provided in the Teacher's Edition. Some people are ok with that, others feel compelled to do it all (even all of the optional suggestions). If you can relax and enjoy it, I highly recommend it!

This link is to another thread with lots of BJU/Abeka comparisons: http://homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=11525

Chrissy

After just spending nearly $200 on BJUP, ugh!!! I wish I would have picked Abeka. My biggest reason is this: BJ has too many books per subject- TM , student book, answer key , test, test answer, (in science) activity manual, activity answer key, yuck!
I don't think i'm cut out for so much monkey-business.
Abeka looks much more simple and the prices are more reasonable

Ruth

I am a huge A Beka fan. I have also used BJU and I *liked* it, but I *love* A Beka. :)

Both publishers are fine. Both have lessons plans already DONE for you. You just open and go. I would say you don't have to do everything in the TM of either BJU or Abeka. You can pick and choose what you think is necessary and enjoyable. I agree to focus on the basics for K.
Michelle30

Hi,

Some Christian schools use Abeka for grades 1-8 and switch to BJU for high school.

I watched some Abeka 3rd grade (I think) dvd's. I hate to admit it, but I actually fell asleep. (sorry, please don't take offense Abeka-lovers). I thought if I fell asleep as an adult with a longer attention span, then my dc would, too.

BJU is more of a tutorial program. It feels like you're the only one in the classroom. Abeka gives you the benefit of reciting with the rest of the class.

Learning to read with BJU was difficult for 2 dc and took a very long time. I like the literature questions, but you've got to be able to read first. I switched to HOP for my youngest and that has been THE TICKET :-). I've heard good things about ABEKA phonics, but never really tried it.

I'm not sure if this helped any, but those are a few of my thoughts on both.

Annika

I used A Beka with my first (dd) for phonics/reading. She did well with it. However, there reading, IMO, is very dry. Phonics are fantastic, but reading is dry. We switched to BJU reading with her for 3rd and have loved it. It is very engaging. I decided with my 2nd (ds), I'd use BJU for K phonics/reading along with their Math. The Math has been fine. The phonics and reading not so great. The readers are very engaging, but he is really struggling phonics wise. I like A Beka's approach to phonics much more. A Beka teaches phonics by blending sounds ( for example: mu, then add another letter and you have mud, ma add another letter mat, mi add another letter mit, so blending in mu, ma, mi, mo, me ). BJU teaches phonics with word endings (it, sit, hit, mit, bit). This has not worked well for us. As a matter of fact, my ds is having to repeat K. I don't know if he would have done any better using A Beka, but I do very much wish I'd have taught him using A Beka. We will stick out BJU with him, because I've invested a lot of time with him in it, and I don't want to confuse him throwing a completely different method at him. He can read - it's just not "smooth". He has to sound everything out. So, we are just taking it slow and reviewing and reviewing, and adding practice, practice, practice.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions