Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

TT Algebra 2 questions

TT Algebra 2 questions

Spinning off from the other Algebra 2 thread...

I am still debating math for my 11th grade son for this fall. We tried MUS Algebra 2 last year and were frustrated with it, so we took a break and did other things. Now I'm wondering about TT Algebra 2. The 3.0 version looks like a really good option. Am I right that they give you an ebook of the textbook? And can anyone tell me how long their kid spends on math each day using this (either the 3.0 version or otherwise). Any other comments welcome. Thanks. Decisions are hard.

ETA: One more question: if kids watch the lecture and do the problems online, do they even need to do anything in the book?

This post was edited on Jun 12, 2018 01:38 PM

re: TT Algebra 2 questions

Hi Erin!

I think the new online version of TT does include an etextbook. I'm not positive as we haven't used it. It's not necessary to the course as everything needed is contained within the online portion.

When my daughter first started TT Algebra 2, it took her as little as 30 minutes to complete a lesson. She is about 6 weeks in now and today's lesson took her an hour and 20 minutes. We may break the lessons up if they get too long.

Perfect, thanks!

No, they do not need the book. HOwever with TT it could be very easy for them to get into the habit of not showing all of their work so you really need to make sure that you check their notebooks every day.

Just an FYI with TT Algebra 2 is that it is missing about five chapters of topics. All of what TT calls Pre-Calculus up to Chapter 5, should have been covered in their Algebra 2 program. So please be aware that if you do switch over to another course the following year, or take Pre-Calc in college, they should finish up to TT Pre-Calc chapter 5 to truly call it "Algebra 2" :)

That is a great point, CT. I hadn't thought of a notebook. He usually does all his work on scrap but it needs to be more organized. Thanks!

Another mom with a student using TT Algebra 1 said it really hleped her student who is using the new online version 3 to have him take notes on the lessons, kinda like a math journal.

Marne

bump to get rid of spam

I agree about needing either the book for showing their work, or a separate notebook. I had 3 kids in TT last year, doing it only on the computer for a while, and found that they still had to have scrap paper handy while doing the lessons. Then I ended up buying hard copies of the books for the two girls who are not my children so that they could work on it at home, and they liked that even better.

Then I would plug their answers into the computer when they brought their books back the next day, since I would need to check their work, anyway, and this still gave me the automatic grading aspect of it. You could do essentially the same with your own kid at home.... let them do the work in the book, but refer to the CDs for any concepts that they need his explanation for, and you use the CDs for the grade report.

Did you give your child the TT placement test? I wouldn't just assume going right into Alg 2 if you used a different publisher for Alg 1.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions