Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Switching from Horizons to CLE in math

Switching from Horizons to CLE in math

Do you think this would be an issue? DS, 4th grade, is currently finishing up the Horizons grade 3 math book. While he does ok, the fact that there is very little explanation to the student in their workbook is making it more difficult. So, I'm contemplating switching to CLE. We would use grade 4 for 5th grade next year. I'm ok with him being "a grade behind" per the workbook level bc I plan on doing prealgebra in 8th. I feel CLE and Horizons are both more advanced bc they teach prealgebra in 7th, and I'm not a fan on that honestly for my boys.

So, do you think there would be any missed info if we dived into CLE 4th grade math? I've used CLE before, and I know how to make it feel less cumbersome for the student...I do that now with horizons. If he knows the concept fully, we skip over it or do one problem for review.

Thanks,
Sherrie

re: Switching from Horizons to CLE in math

The best way to find out is to do their placement test.

As for them teaching pre-algebra in 7th, it's introduced in 7th. They continue to build on it in 8th. Excellent math students (90% average or better) can handle the jump from 7th to Algebra 1, but I wouldn't recommend it for students who have to work harder in math.

Hi!! I think is not a issue... When I bought horizon for math for my son in grade 3 too , I never use the books ,, I see the books ,,very little explanation and see that do not fit for my son then switch to BJU and used for 2 years. And then switch to CLE. .. and is advanced but excellent,, excellent explanation I use one year behind with my son ,, and my son love the curriculum ..If you think you need to change do it,, don't worry.. the person who knows what is the better for your son this one is you and the the Lord.. God bless you!!!

This post was edited on May 16, 2018 11:16 AM

I switched from horizons to cle and had no issues at all. I think my oldest switched in 6th and my son in the 4th. We love cle math!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions