Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

IEW vs EIW

IEW vs EIW

I’ve used IEW years ago. The kids like Andrew Pudewa a lot. They made good progress. I sold my stuff though and so now years later, I’m in need of a writing curriculum.
I like IEW, and I am familiar with it. I do like that he gets the dc to write in more interesting ways even if it sometimes is a bit hard to write with the format. In the long run, I think it helped my dc to write better, more “sophisticated” papers.
I’ve only looked at samples of EIW. Does he teach elements like those iew teaches? I prefer the essay emphasis of eiw but I’m not sure I want to leave out the elements of iew.

Maybe it doesn’t matter really which we choose but if anybody has thoughts on this to share here...maybe it’d help in my decision.
I’ve got two high schoolers, 6th and 4th.

re: IEW vs EIW

Is there any reason you can't do both? I realize cost may be a factor, but neither course takes a full year to complete. This is pretty much what we do. I love EIW, but I also like certain elements of IEW. So we flip flop a bit between both. We actually use an assortment of writing programs throughout the years.

Well, just this morning as I’ve been contemplating it, this use of both of them over the years did occur to me. It definitely is doable for my younger dc, and maybe the oldest.
In your opinion, which do you think lends itself more to the one to start with?

I think I'd start with Pudewa. It allows the kids to learn how to make their writing more interesting without having to come up with the whole composition themselves. Once they've got some of that down pat, it will come more naturally to them when they're writing their own paragraphs and essays in EIW. One of my kids couldn't stand the Pudewa style of constant rewriting. So when he did whatever assignment was required in EIW, I would go through Pudewa's checklist and have him add those elements to his writing.

So when he did whatever assignment was required in EIW, I would go through Pudewa's checklist and have him add those elements to his writing.

I did something similar with my kids when we weren't using IEW. I'd do the "dress ups" and "sentence openers" as one part of their multi edit process and points in the rubric. But we weren't using IEW as a program. can't remember if that was the year we tried some EIW or not. hmmm..

re: IEW vs EIw

Thanks ladies for your thoughts! I’ll probably go with iew at this point and revisit EIW idea later. Sometimes it’s the choosing between just two paths that hangs me up! ;)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions