Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

What to do...

What to do...

When you feel God brought you to a certain curriculum and it's working for some of your kids, but one hates it. We are using a combination of different curriculum, but I feel that we need to be doing Ace science and Social Studies. It's working fine for my oldest two, but my youngest, 4th grade this fall, is not a fan.

As the parent, what do I do? I feel that God led us to Ace for this season in our lives. One of my hang ups is MY desire to do a CM based program. The problem there is that every time we try they don't get done for whatever reason. It is more MY longing for CM than for the kids. My youngest would probably love it, but at this point I have to choose what actually gets done.

How do I continue with Ace for him, but in a way that he will maybe enjoy it? I may go back to Five in a Row for part of his school too. He enjoyed it in the past.

I am learning that homeschooling is not about my wants and desires, but meeting the kids where there are and following God's leading.

re: What to do...

People often say that they *feel* God led them to this or that, and while of course God has blessed your daily life with every single thing you have (YOur daily bread) we must be careful when we use our *feelings* as a guide. We can *feel* all sorts of things. And I have encountered many well meaning Christians claim that they *feel* God has led them to this or that, and the this or that that they are claiming actually turns out to be simply their own desire, and at times even things that are unbiblical or things that contradict the clear written word of God.

The Devil can disguise himself as light, we always want to think that we cannot be fooled by the evil one, but if we think that we aren't appreciating just how skilled the evil one actually is.

God, if He really wants something done, (Think of Jonah) will drag you right through that, but in the mean time there are many things that God ***allows***, but that doesn't mean it is His preference. He allows all sorts of things and also may guide your feet, your path but that doesn't mean that there is one singular "right" in choosing something like curriculum, no, there may be several possible curriculums out there that would be a good fit, and while you are so very thankful for how well the one has worked for your family, and thankful that God put that in your path, it may be that something else is better for the other child or all of them, and choosing another is in no way sinful.

These words probably sound harsh to you, and that is not my intention, but rather, our *hearts* or *feelings* tend to be rather subjective, step back from this and find what is best for each child, knowing that God is the source of all you have, and that God provides in many ways.

One of the goals for our homeschool was to create lifelong learners. My husband and I knew that it would be impossible to teach everything that they would need to know, so it was important to teach them how to learn, where to find information, how to evaluate sources, etc. If my child was consistently struggling with a certain material, I would select a different choice. It was more important to us to foster a love of learning, than to complete a certain book.

The other posters gave you phenomenal insight. To add using it as CM, which is what we did for Biology, I had dd read it, then choose one thing to describe and explain, and to draw and label. She learned more that way than "fill in the blank" method. Biology lended itself nicely to this CM method due to the way it read.

Agree with Coastcarol and Annaz.

And you know, we all go through different seasons of life. Likewise, our children are individuals -- not all clones of one another -- and they go through different seasons, too. One curriculum may be absolutely perfect for a certain period of time or a certain child, but not for another. Susan Wise Bauer talks a lot about this in her new book (which I think I mentioned in your other thread, Blessedlife3).

You can use the same curriculum, but in a different way, as Annaz described. Or you can change curriculum entirely, or change methods. It's okay. It might even be exactly what's needed.

one tiny suggestion to add to the mix of great answers:

tell non ACE fan that after he gets that part of school done, then he can have time to explore science with projects that he would like to do. This is a variation of the CM idea of "Unstructured but Productive Afternoons" commonly talked about in homeschooling. So now you can grab those janice van cleave type of science fair project books and let him have fun, or plan for nature time in the backyard, park, etc. or videos or whatever it is he likes to do.

i agree with many comments made. I just thought I would add a personal experience. I have dc who would just do whatever I laid out for the most part and so in this scenario, ace would be fine or abeka or apologia or whatever. But then I have a couple in certain areas this would end in misery and failure to progress. I have found this to be the case mainly in elementary age dc. It just doesn’t meet the dc. In this case, I do try to within reason come up with an alternative that will get the job done and will keep the dc going forward. At the age he is, he might be bored with ace presentation. Why not read a volume of SOTW? (If you don’t like volume 1 which I’ve not used, go with three or four). Buy the activity manual if you want, take the coloring or map sheet and do a short narration on the back and make a timeline book out of it. For science you might consider a number of options. At his grade level it would not take much to accomplish.

I realize you have time constraints to accomplish stuff in a day. I definitely get that. I’ve wasted less time changing things up at times, than if I just stuck to something that was perceived as miserable for a dc. I was on the path with one dc in a particular math curriculum and he absolutely disliked it ( he is not bad at math), so I changed and he took off...it ended up wasting way less time and accomplishing a lot.

So I guess if in your position, I have considered change ups.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions