Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

HS History Credit Question

HS History Credit Question

So I'm beginning the planning for my first up-coming 9th grader. To get a good idea of where to begin, I've looked at the entrance requirements for our state university system as well as the graduation requirements for our county and a neighboring county.

The colleges only require 2 credits for social studies/history (1 being US history) while the hs grad. requirements are 4 credits (world, 2 US, and civ & eco.)

Some of the curricula I am considering only provide 3 credits (2 full and 2 half credit courses). I understand I can set my own graduation requirements, but I was wondering what others do. Do you have your hs students do 4 credits? Do you only do 3?

What ss/history courses does your high school student do?

re: HS History Credit Question

In my house oldest and middle each had

1 credit year in ancient history (beginnings to roughly the time of ancient Rome. think of it as break from Old Testament to New Testament)

1 credit year in world history (from Rome to Modern)

1 credit in US history (done as one semester in 11th called US History to 1877, and one semester in 12th called US 1877 to modern. this reflects the CLEP exams by the way)

1/2 credit in Gov't (done in grade 11)/Civics/citizenship
1/2 credit in Economics (grade 12)

and geography was integrated in the history years. I'd have to look on a transcript to see if I bothered to label it as semester. If I had that that, I would have put it in grade 12 when "work in that course was completed"

Essentially those two students had social studies each year. Youngest who is not on college bound ability track will have World Geography (1 year). 1 year of World. 1 year of US. We probably will have a "life skills with civics" course in grade 12 for her for a semester. She has various developmental and intellectually disabilities.

Thank you cbollin! May I ask what publisher/materials you used?

Oldest and middle used MFW. (my father's world)
https://www.mfwbooks.com/products/14/Declare-High-School-/

oh, to clarify. middle gal didn't do her CLEP exams in US 1 and US 2 until her "gap year" (year after high school graduation but before enrolling in college). I realize my previous answer could have been misunderstood that we did clep when we did the courses. that wasn't the case.

Gotcha! :) I was wondering about the timing. lol

Totally veering off in another direction here....with MFW can you substitute some of the reading choices for bible?

And also, concerning the writing part of MFW: for a student that hasn't had much structured teaching in grammar or composition, would the writing be too much? Basically, does it cover grammar concepts and how-tos for writing or does it assume the student is already knowledgeable in these areas?

Just trying to look at all options. :)

.with MFW can you substitute some of the reading choices for bible?

1. sure. :)

for example in the ancient year, I've heard lots of people leave out the purpose book and don't even sub it. it's a supplemental reading resource in the year not a spine.My kids read it. But other people are fine leaving it out.
Or in grade 12, we'd didn't really click with the Bible that year with the prayer book so, we did our own stuff with that with materials our church was using at the time. and in the grade 10 year, they made that Church History in Plain Language optional now. totally skimmed that with both of them. I don't remember some of the books and I know we used them. It just seems like a lifetime ago at this point. (oldest is senior in college)

The big thing in a substitute in Bible is to know what it is doing there in the first place and finding a fit for something for that aspect of school. Or to work with your child and do the book together and teach from it instead of having them learn on their own. I wish I had done that more with oldest or found someone to go through some of them with her. She's too smart for her own good.

2. And also, concerning the writing part of MFW: for a student that hasn't had much structured teaching in grammar or composition, would the writing be too much? Basically, does it cover grammar concepts and how-tos for writing or does it assume the student is already knowledgeable in these areas?

I think it assumes that by grade 9 the student knows how to write one quality paragraph. That means topic sentence, body sentences on topic and with some variety (not all of them "dick and jane went to the market') and close the paragraph. in week 1 of the grade 9 year English, they will learn the basics of 5 paragraph for essay. mastery of 5 paragraph is not assumed at start of year. It is taught. Grammar concepts for editing and improving all taught as well.

If that much with one paragraph is not knowledgeable then you might have to do a lot of teaching this year or summer.

grammar: my opinion is that if you watch schoolhouse rock grammar rocks and maybe do a simple workbook like All in One English, or Applications of Grammar book 1, or even Easy Grammar by start of grade 9, you've probably covered plenty.

You don't have to be an expert on defining and labeling. no diagramming pre req. you need enough to be able to know that "her and me is gunna share the peach pie" just ain't good grammar to speak when you're at bob evans.
Or if you can edit my local tv news website. oh my.

Officially mfw recommends :An incoming student weak in formal grammar should complete Easy Grammar Ultimate Series: Grade 8. Likewise, a student weak in composition skills should complete Writing with Skill Level 1 (at least half of the book).

I personally would recommend if at all possible to try to work on that in summer before starting. Or having the first couple of weeks of grade 9 focus on that as short crash course then start the actual program. Don't worry if you can't finish all of those books before starting.

Bless your sweet heart! Thank you for that detailed reply!!

The book of concern isn't a spine I don't believe so I'm glad to hear I could dump it or sub it.

I was thinking of having him go through the Easy Grammar Plus level starting now and into the summer hoping to get him more up to speed in that area. His writing actually isn't that bad - it's just his knowledge of the parts that make it up that's lacking.

-----"you need enough to be able to know that "her and me is gunna share the peach pie" just ain't good grammar to speak when you're at bob evans.
Or if you can edit my local tv news website. oh my." ----

Thank you for this - I really needed a good laugh! :P

We are currently doing World History with notgrass. We will do American history next year, not sure which publisher. He will then do 1/2 civics, 1/2 economics. Our state only requires three credits.

Sherrie

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions