Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Master books curriculum experience?

Master books curriculum experience?

Any one has used master books curriculum .I would like to hear , how do you likes this course. I'm considering use with my son biblical archaeology and applied engineer.. please let me know your experience..😊😊😊. Liza.

re: Master books curriculum experience?

I've used Medicine & Biology and Survey of Astronomy with my oldest son. All of the courses are basically in the form of "read from a text, then do a worksheet". Some of the courses' worksheets are better than others. Medicine & Biology was all true/false and matching, which I wasn't a big fan of. Survey of Astronomy has a lot of short answer and suggestions for some neat activities (of course, my son hates activities so he doesn't want to do any of them).

I suggest looking at the sample pages of the sets you want, look over the worksheets and then see if it's something you're interested in. Master Books' website has good samples.

I will say the books used in the courses are generally really good, lots of great photos, etc. It's just some of the worksheets that I find lacking, but like I said, it depends on the course.

Thanks so much for your comments. My son is not a textbook student , so I 'm looking sometimes like that. And he is a struggling learner.

Applied Science, the book Discovery of Design, is absolutely fascinating (not just my words, but my non-science student as well). I am amazed how so many things in nature have been studied or incorporated into different inventions. (It's fun to check student work and glean the little tidbits).

If you don't rush things and stick to the 4 day lesson plan, it's a quick read of a few pages and 1 worksheet.
There may be a few bigger words that your student may or may not know based on prior knowledge or not. (ex cellulose. Mentioned briefly in regards to termites & how they construct tunnels and how a building was modeled after them to cool more efficiently). These words aren't the main point, just a piece of the overall topic so they aren't covered in depth.

The questions on the worksheet are directly related to what was read. Student writes the answer underneath. (No multiple choice,no matching.. just write the answer. Not a problem doing the lesson with the book right there. The only downside is that the quizzes are that same format. That said, you may or may not want to make modifications for the quiz portion depending on your student's needs)

This post was edited on Mar 13, 2018 11:50 PM

We used America's Story Vol 1 this fall with my 5th and 7th grade girls. We zoomed through it. I liked it enough. I'm not sure what I would think about the notebook pages, as we didn't slow down and use those. I think it's a nice option if you want to keep things simple and short & sweet.

My oldest is using their 9th grade Physical Science this year. It has been perfect for her. She likes it!

My 7th grader is using their 7th grade Gen Science course. She loves it. She does most of the worksheets and it has really inspired her.

I plan to use their Gen Science II this fall. I also have tentative plans to use America's Story I with my will-be 3rd grade son, as written. Also considering their Language Arts for 3rd grade, God's Design Science for 3rd, Apologietics for 3rd, and the Elementary Bible English & Grammar for my will-be 6th grader.

I have heard a lot of comments about the worksheets/assignment pages being poorly edited. I haven't used enough of them to see that, hopefully that's something they address and fix.

I am not on facebook anymore, but there are 2 masterbooks groups on there that are fabulous.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions