Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

High School English Plan?

High School English Plan?

My oldest will turn 14 this May and has always hovered between grades. I'm thinking I'll officially put him in 9th this fall and am starting the planning process of his high school career.

I need some help with planning English. I know there are multiple ways to skin this cat, but typically what do you do in each grade? How do you schedule each component of grammar, lit, and writing over the years?

Let me also say that he has not done any formal grammar, literature or writing programs but is familiar with basic parts of speech and punctuation and can write short stories relatively well.

I was strongly considering Easy Grammar but need to still find something for writing and for lit.

Do you alternate subjects per year? Do a little of each every year? My high school years seem so far away and I can't remember what I did for this. :P

re: High School English Plan?

The stuff I used (which is one of those all in one history/bible/english programs) had composition and literature intertwined all year. Grammar was in the context of the composition. Oldest did use easy grammar ultimate in grade 11 as a daily brain warm up and keep skills sharp for ACT. Middle did ultimate easy grammar grade 9 over 2 years (as every other day warm up kind of thing), and then grade 11 in one year.

But the grammar was keep it sharp. quick easy.

The cover school I use prefers to see lit and comp covered each year. (vocab is considered part of lit. grammar is part of composition)

lots of ways to do it as you said.

During my high school years, I had grammar, writing, literature, and vocabulary every year, each semester. That is what my own high schoolers have, as well, with Abeka. It's a phenomenal program! They're my first recommendation, and BJUP is my second.

My general plan for high school is literature and composition.

For literature, I have my kids read a chapter a day (I make a book list - some of the titles correspond with history, some are lighter, about half are classics). Then I also schedule poetry weeks, where they read poetry and write about why they like it or don't like it, and short story weeks, where I assign short stories and they look for literary elements in them. We learn lit. terms in 8th grade, but if your son hasn't covered that, 9th grade might be a good time.

For composition, we are CM-ish, and write daily narrations. We spend the early high school years turning our written narrations into essays. This is accomplished by 10th or 11th grade, and then they just write essays (about one a week or every other week). I scheduled two research papers per year. We also take a week off here and there to focus on business letters or other types of writing I think are important.

So, basically, they are reading and writing daily. I don't use pre-planned programs and sort of schedule it all out myself. It's not the easiest way to do it, but it works here.

I am considering adding Easy Grammar to my rising 9th grader's schedule next year but if I do, I'll only have him complete a page once or twice a week to keep grammar skills fresh. That way, one EG book will last for most of high school.

Thank you everyone! I'm considering what you all have said and trying to see how I can put this together. :)

We are planning on splitting each year between writing (which would include some grammar) and literature (which typically includes vocabulary.) There are a couple of companies that work this way. BJU splits each year between the 2. You could use a combo of Essentials in Writing and Essentials in Literature for a full English credit. EIW actually has a schedule that allows you to alternate between the 2 programs for a full year.

Of course he would be a freshman this year. :-)

Each year of high school English has equal parts composition and literature. Grammar, if necessary, would be covered in the composition units, vocabulary in the literature units. Sometimes the literature goes along with the history, but that's not necessary.

i have known people who did composition/grammar for two years, then literature for two years.

Thank you kanda and elliemaejune! :)

I'm looking into the EIW + EIL - they look promising! I think I like the idea of combining each in a year. That may prevent burn-out in one area and keep it more interesting.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions