Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Short, Colorful Math Workbook

Short, Colorful Math Workbook

Hi!

I'm looking for a basic math workbook for grades 1 and 2 next year for kids who will go into TT when they get to grade 3.

These kids are both autistic with low frustration thresholds. Not looking for anything academically advanced - public school level is just fine. ;)

The important thing is that the lessons are short (2 pages/day max) and that we can get through the material in a year at that pace.

Color is a bonus.

re: Short, Colorful Math Workbook

We are currently using a grade 1 DK workbook called Math Made Easy but it's a bit disjointed and feels more like review sheets. It's find for the kid who is using it (who did a lot of Math Seeds before our internet slowed down so badly), we sit and teach all the concepts, use manipulatives, etc. But I would like something more cohesive.

Complete Book of Math may fit your needs.

I know mfw sells it (but it's in lots of places)
https://www.mfwbooks.com/item/01202/The-Complete-Book-of-Math/

amazon seems to have one of those look insides options to see the table of contents. But the preview only shows early part of book.

and with 2 pages a day, shound be able to do most of that in a 180 day school year.
in the mfw way of using it, it's a supplemental workbook to hands on kind of learning.

In the other thread about this topic, Abeka was suggested. I think that would fit the bill. It's 2 pages per day (front and back of one page) and if you look at the samples at CBD, there isn't much on each page. It looks nice and relaxed. I'm considering that one, too.

I would just get high quality Walmart workbooks of varying kinds and just work through them.

My other idea, is Critical THinking Press. They have wonderful, colorful workbooks with all you need for the grade level and interesting problems to solve based on everyday things, and they always show everything in pictures.

but it's a bit disjointed and feels more like review sheets

^^^

This being said, you may, as another poster mentioned, feel more comfortable with Abeka's workbook. It has a well put together scope and sequence that "flows" smoothly throughout the year. It is very open & go friendly, for the most part.

I just bought A Beka for her grade 2 year. 2 pages a day (which is what we currently do), fun colors, spiral. Very hopeful!

Thanks, all.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions