Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Question for Khan Academy math users

Question for Khan Academy math users

We are near the "official" end of the year here. DD has been drudging her way through Algebra 1. New material seems to force the old from her brain. I don't plan to switch curriculum but am allowing a break from the book and substituting Khan Academy for a bit.

Here's the question: Does anyone use Khan Academy as their main math curriculum? If so, what do you record for grades? She takes several quizzes weekly. And if she fails one, she reworks that section and retests.

Just wondering aloud about Khan Academy...and bumping down the spam ;)

re: Question for Khan Academy math users

I tracked mastery of a particular course, 60% =D, 70% =C, 80%=B, 90%=A. Basically once student achieved 90% mark, then start the next level.

Not sure if that method would work for you if you are only using for a short segment of time.

I would love to use Khan Academy as out math. I have not met anyone who does so.
Anyone??

My DD has used Khan Academy for Geometry and is currently finishing up Alg 2. We found Geometry particularly difficult to make work - there were too many things that were difficult to figure out how to graph using their software. That being said, she managed to pass the STAR (Texas' standardized test) at the end of the year when we considered putting her in public for 10th grade so I consider that she learned what she needed.

When we changed our mind and decided to homeschool again in 10th she begged to do Khan again. I had my doubts but we came up with something that works for us.... she has a notebook where she writes down each problem and answer. She then records how many attempts it took her to get it typed in right. I grade pretty leniently... counting off a certain amount if she needed a hint and another amount if it took her 2 tries, etc. If she just "typed it in wrong" but had the right answer on her paper I count it right... (mostly just taking her word for it...she's a reliable kiddo).

SO... my evaluation -
The Negatives: it's not the easiest thing to make work for homeschool. I HATE the parent's side... nothing is easy to find and trying to figure out what they have done is crazy unless you use paper and trust your kid. That being said... basically, it's worked for my oldest but I'm considering going a different direction if we start homeschooling my youngest (I think she would get too discouraged by the "I just hit the wrong button and it says I missed the problem" issue.)

The positives: it's free (YAY) AND I think Sal Khan is a ***fabulous*** teacher! He makes everything so easy to understand and follow. I just wish the software was a little easier to navigate.

Hope this helps with your decision.

If you are considering using Khan Academy, you might like yaymath.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions