Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

math for 1st-2nd grade

re: math for 1st-2nd grade

Liberty math is great for those ages and the best thing is, it only goes through grade 2, so you would have to transition at that point. No “mom, I want to keep doing Liberty” because it doesn’t exist.

Have you all used Liberty Math, ILMC? I know everyone's experience varies and for some, one thing works really well that doesn't for others. I really, really wanted to like Liberty math. For us, it wasn't colorful and "fun" feeling, and I didn't like the lack of review patterns a la Abeka. (And it felt rushed? Not sure why....) But I'm sure it works beautifully for others and it's a good $ deal.

I used the A book many moons ago - the one with the Ferris wheel on the cover. Yes, we liked it. My dd liked a workbook format, she liked the cartoon drawings. It was cute. I didn’t use any teacher book - not even sure if it had one, but yes, we liked it. I could see it being too many problems for some kids, but that is an easy fix!

It was just basic math, no frills but a sweet one at that. Not super advanced either. I remember it being a gentle way to do math each day. But of course, as with all things, your mileage may vary.

For example, we used Horizons for a bit. It was great at first - a colorful workbook, Christian company, great and all. Fun variety of activities. I remember in K dd was figuring out simple perimeter problems. loved it. Then oh my goodness - it ramped up concept introduction and dd literally cried each day. Which is what prompted the eventual move to Liberty (but not before R&S - which we did their extremely easy first grade to help her build some confidence - it was all an age maturity thing, some kids I am sure flourish on Horizons, I know mine do on Singapore now) and this dd is acing college Calculus at the university at 15, so it’s all good. :)

Another choice is MCP or Modern Curriculum Math...you can get that easily at CBD...it Does go all the way to 6th grade level...but when we found MUS we like that the best. MUS does have a Primer level if that would work for you. They do not expect mastery at that level just exposure.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions