Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

math for 1st-2nd grade

math for 1st-2nd grade

I need a simple, relaxed-pace math for Grades 1-2. I'll probably switch to TT for 3rd. I used Math Mammoth for all my older boys and it was good, but it is such a LONG program and you have to complete a lot per day to get it all done in a year.

So I'm exploring my options. I only want one workbook, no teacher book if possible. Something cute and relaxed and fun? Any suggestions?

re: math for 1st-2nd grade

Oh yes!! :o)

Either School Zone's Big Math 1-2 Workbook (covers grades 1 and 2); OR The Complete Book of Math grades 1 and 2 (again, covers both grades).

They are ONE workbook, easy to open & go, colorful, but thorough.

And if I were going that route, I'd also use manipulatives along the way. :o) (Even things from home can be used; they don't have to be fancy purchased "official" math items.) :o)

Making Math Meaningful is great for that age

Bump

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean one workbook for both levels combined, I meant one workbook per level. I just don't want to have to juggle a lot of different components. :)

I am also considering using math mammoth at a slower pace. Even if we don't get all the way through MM 2 before starting TT 3, it probably wouldn't matter because MM is a bit advanced.

Well, actually, you could still use them!! :o) (I'm familiar with both...that's why I know about these two.)

Other than that, for those grades, what *I* would do is just grab Abeka's workbook and use them, totally open 'n go! They can absolutely be used that way! No teacher book is required. 1st and 2nd math is very straightforward and simple. And the workbooks are sweet, colorful, and highly appealing. My children STILL remember those two workbooks in particular. :o)

I would still use Making Math Meaningful. They have individual levels for each grade. We loved this curriculum. My son currently is in pre-Algebra Teaching Textbooks

http://cornerstonecurriculum.com/Curriculum/MMM/MMM.htm

Thanks for the ideas. I have considered Abeka. It looks really cute. I'm pretty sure it's been a while since you had kids that young, M4J, but do you remember how you scheduled it? A page or two per day?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions