Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

So, school was a bust today...again...

So, school was a bust today...again...

My neighbor has a highly volatile situation going on with her teen, one that requires frequent sheriff visits and hospital runs. They are Amish with no vehicle. Anyhow, I am the designated driver who is normally on call to ferry whoever to wherever anytime there is a flair of circumstance. Like today. And yesterday. And a couple days ago.

It's warm outside. Maple sap is running and we have about half our taps out. Dh is happy for the dcs' help.

The kids dragged the trampoline out the first time I was gone today and reassembled it in the back yard. They aimed the security cameras at it so they can watch each other jump. Yesterday they aimed the cameras at their foster sister hanging out laundry and staged clothes pin bag robberies so they could replay their "movies".

Sigh.

This is what hs'ing looks like in the trenches, when life happens. What's a Haiku on a day like this???

I will say I was able to use the 3/4 cup measuring cup my 11 yo found in the drawer to make lemonade as further instruction in adding fractions. So there was that.

re: So, school was a bust today...again...

Don't worry, they're still learning! (((hugs)))

Ahhh, don’t worry about it. Your kids are fine, and they are learning. Try not to beat yourself up too much. It’s all In God’s plan.

Anyone who happens to be reading this: pray for the teen. 5 minutes in the door from an over night at the hospital she is back to her belligerent self. I called the sheriff personally this time. He is on the way. There is something really wrong with this girl and nobody can figure out what. :(

I could have started this post!
Trapping, skinning, stretching, maple sugaring, wranglers at the ranch, clean stalls for someone else, building chicken coop in the barn, building projects in the house, all 3 are 'Mr. Gadgets,' trap shooting, shoe repair business at our house, etc.

I struggle tremendously with this all! I always dreamed of a house full of 'students.' It is hard to get much done when a bird is heard, a customer comes, the sun shines, it rains, there's snow to plow and shovel for customers.........

Trying to rest in the fact that God does know all of this, and I must do everything I can to equip them with what they will need in the direction He calls.

Hugs and prayers for you and your situation.

Pam

Praying for the situation. Sounds like a tough one.

God bless you, Mayberry! You are the Good Samaritan and the hands and feet of the Lord. You are teaching your children about love for our neighbors. (literally)

Michelle32

The new word to describe our hs currently is "wing-it".

Our situation isn't flowery. It is basically the same thing over and over. I clean houses in the morning and sit with an elderly in the afternoons. I have anywhere from 3-5 cleaning jobs per week currently (was 7 and that was a bit much), and sit up to 7 days per week (which means care for and clean for elderly).

On days when I don't have a cleaning job I am juggling what needs to be done most. Cook as much as I can to have food for the next few days, school with dd, wash car, and ????. Thankfully dd is old enough to help keep the house so I can assign her task. That helps. And she does math and LA daily on her own so she doesn't get behind there. We still try to do the other subjects together, but that may change soon. I just don't like the idea of her getting so far behind while waiting on me to have a day off.

I know this is a season, and seasons change. So I try to "give it to God and go to sleep."

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions