Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE math or Abeka or another spiral math

CLE math or Abeka or another spiral math

We’ve used CLE for several years. It’s worked way better than anything else I’ve tried.

Not sure if it’s the end of the year blues but I’m dreaming about other maths. Something more colorful???

My 5 th grader seems to be struggling this year. Long division, rounding, and more are giving us fits.

Both my 5th and 3 rd graders struggle with word problems. They are tough!!!

I’m also wishing there were more word problems with inches , yards, miles, etc. instead of Meters, kilometers, etc. since we live in the US.

I also feel like they need more counting money and clocks.

I’ll have a 6 th and 4 th next year.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Would Abeka be a good switch if I decide to switch? Or something else? I definitely want spiral that reviews all concepts daily.

re: CLE math or Abeka or another spiral math

I've used Abeka with my four, and feel it is phenomenal. It definitely reviews daily. It covers all those other topics you mentioned wanting to be included. (We have done CLE, so I am familiar with it, by way of comparison.) I prefer Abeka, hands-down.

As far as word problems go, my suggestion, from my experience here, is to just work with your students on any area in which they're weak, until the point they have that "light bulb moment" in their mind and fully grasp it, no longer needing help. To me, this is one of my favorite BEAUTIES of home schooling, the personal, one-on-one tutorial element possible. (It's what makes tutoring so wonderful - - but we get to implement it daily - - and for free: for love!) :)

Why not Saxon?

If CLE has worked best, stick with it! You'll regret flip flopping. Abeka is definitely more expensive, and has much more moving parts. That's part of why I love CLE so much, having everything in nice neat little workbooks. I think word problems can be a challenge for some kids, but just keep working through them together. Counting money and clocks are definitely two things that work much better when you practice them together in real life. Buy some play money and a play clock, and just spend some time doing that separately. I'm not sure what to say about the measurement problems. I know those measurements definitely are covered a lot in later years so I wouldn't worry too much about it now.

Saxon brought nothing but tears for my older two. I’m scared to try it again.

I know I should probably stick with CLE. I just keep thinking we are missing something or the grass is greener somewhere else.

Saxon can be dryyyyyyyy as the Sahara and duuuuuuull as dust. I found it to be unnecessarily repetitive. (And I believe in repetition, AND the spiral method, but Saxon can. . .overdo it.)

;)

CLE felt like trampling through the desert with the children of Israel - - for us. (It also felt too repetitive a la Saxon - - to us.)

So Abeka was a beautiful breath of fresh air!

:)

It never felt like I had too much to do, as the mom - - and I've always had four I've been teaching at once, close in age and grade range.

But it really depends on each mom, I've found. Any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to share. :)

We can say pretty much the same things about any publisher. :-) I know many people for whose children Saxon was the light at the end of the tunnel, the one that completely turned their lives around. I once went with a friend to a ginormous teacher's convention where she was a rep for Saxon. There was a constant stream of teachers for three days telling about how once their schools switched to Saxon more of their students were successful in math, more of their students were going on to higher maths than ever before, and more of them were going on to careers in math.

I don't think you can know if it will work for you until you try it.

Ellie said...
I don't think you can know if it will work for you until you try it.

I fall into this camp.
I’ve tried things to be pleasantly surprised that something was just what we needed at the time.
It works the other way too, but I didn’t know til I tried.

All these maths will get you there with somewhat different flavors. I’ve used them all with different dc. Currently we use CLE at the level you are discussing.
I like it. The dc like it. Soon the older dc will switch to another curriculum since I intend on something else for jr high and up.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions